Stilicho

SATA / IDE laptop adapter

Hi all

I have quite an old IBM ThinkPad iSeries 1200, a Pentium 3 that I still have to use as a result of financial limitations, but it still does the job for me.

I need to upgrade the Hard Drive that has an IDE interface. I looked around for prices both used and new and came to the obvious conclusion that SATA Hard Drives are a lot cheaper then same size IDE drives, sometimes even cheaper then used IDE ones.

I looked around for a solution and found many SATA/IDE adapters, some allegedly for Laptops. As it happens in almost all laptops, inside of the HD caddy there is absolutely no space left.

However, as you all know, IDE Hard Drives have a “Male” interface and the ThinkPad has also another “Male” connector. Being both “males” IBM installed an IDE female/female adaptor to allow the connection of the hard drive to the laptop.

This female/female adaptor has about 4 or 5 mm with and it fits perfectly in the HD caddy.

Some of the SATA / IDE adapters that I found on the WWW have a “Male” SATA interface on one side and a “Female” IDE on the other. This means that the IBM adapter that originally came with the laptop can be removed and this means 4 or 5 mm of precious space that can allow for the installation of another adapter.

Looking at it in pictures it seems that these adapters can fit in the laptop HD caddy, provided the maximum length of that adaptor is 2.5 inches.

Before spending any money in this apparent “solution” I need to be sure that, in fact, it works.

So the questions for anyone willing to give a hand in this are.

- Has anybody used this kind of adapters in laptops before ?

- Do they do the job ?

- Can anyone tell me where to buy one of these adapters in Toronto ? (I cannot buy directly from the Internet).

- These adapters consume about 0.8 to 1 Watt for the “translation” work weather the disk is spinning or not. Does this increased consumption create any specific problem?

All the best

Stilicho

AFAIK, space is still the main issue.

For example with this one which looks pretty small.

Works with all SATA Drives up to 1500GB in Capacity.

44 Pin IDE Connector Powers the Drive No Other Cables or Adapters are needed, just place this in between your SATA Drive and your 44 Pin IDE Cable Connector (IDC 44pin type) and You are now ready to use a SATA Drive.

Supports IDE with data transfer rate up to 66/100/133MB/s

Serial ATA To IDE converter board

Suitable for POS Systems (will not fit into laptops) Great for all Mini Computers that use 44 pin IDE connector and require an upgrade to new SATA 2.5 Inch Drives.

If you are looking for space, you try some cheap USB drives. With the PC Card/Cardbus slot, you may be able to get a device that delivers USB 2.0 speeds(if it doesn't have it already) or firewire to use a external hdd but all those may be gimped by the hardware or OS.

If you can find a 1.8" drive(there are 1.8" ZIF SSDs) you may be able to use another adapter depending on connection. If you can get a hold of compact flash cards, you could also try IDE to CF adapters(other thinkpad users did this for different thinkpads-here).

Can anyone tell me where to buy one of these adapters in Toronto

That might be difficult since there isn't a lot of demand for this stuff and IDE is very old. You will need to check electronic stores, computer repair shops etc but I doubt you will find the adapters in a store. Online will definitely get you better deals and selection.

- These adapters consume about 0.8 to 1 Watt for the “translation” work weather the disk is spinning or not. Does this increased consumption create any specific problem?

No idea, but don't forget about heat(good way to kill a drive).

Wow tell us how it works out. I wonder if this would work for an old HP Pavillion.

.8 to 1 watt is no big deal. It'll make that area of the laptop warmer than normal but not too hot i don't think. It would be like an additional hard drive idling right next to it.

Now that I think about it .8 watts is far more than what this (http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/2sahadrtoide.html?pk_campaign=merchant-center) would use. It only has 1 little I.C. chip and what looks like a voltage regulator. Something way less than .5 watts i'd say for that product..

1 thing I'd be sure of when looking for a compatible adapter, is to make sure that it doesn't require the 12V from the SATA connector to run, just the 5V because most (all?) laptops do not supply 12V through SATA.

Hi Stilicho,

May i know the status of this? Actually i have same problem, does the adapter sata-to-ide fit to your thinkpad? Since there is an additional space +-5mm?

Hi all

I have quite an old IBM ThinkPad iSeries 1200, a Pentium 3 that I still have to use as a result of financial limitations, but it still does the job for me.

I need to upgrade the Hard Drive that has an IDE interface. I looked around for prices both used and new and came to the obvious conclusion that SATA Hard Drives are a lot cheaper then same size IDE drives, sometimes even cheaper then used IDE ones.

I looked around for a solution and found many SATA/IDE adapters, some allegedly for Laptops. As it happens in almost all laptops, inside of the HD caddy there is absolutely no space left.

However, as you all know, IDE Hard Drives have a “Male” interface and the ThinkPad has also another “Male” connector. Being both “males” IBM installed an IDE female/female adaptor to allow the connection of the hard drive to the laptop.

This female/female adaptor has about 4 or 5 mm with and it fits perfectly in the HD caddy.

Some of the SATA / IDE adapters that I found on the WWW have a “Male” SATA interface on one side and a “Female” IDE on the other. This means that the IBM adapter that originally came with the laptop can be removed and this means 4 or 5 mm of precious space that can allow for the installation of another adapter.

Looking at it in pictures it seems that these adapters can fit in the laptop HD caddy, provided the maximum length of that adaptor is 2.5 inches.

Before spending any money in this apparent “solution” I need to be sure that, in fact, it works.

So the questions for anyone willing to give a hand in this are.

- Has anybody used this kind of adapters in laptops before ?

- Do they do the job ?

- Can anyone tell me where to buy one of these adapters in Toronto ? (I cannot buy directly from the Internet).

All the best

Stilicho