Togan

Western Digital Velociraptor VS Caviar Black

NewB here :ph34r:

I emailed Western Digital Support with questions regarding Platter size/GB and number of Platter(s) in HDD's of the Velociraptor and Caviar Black Lines. My initial resonse was quite vague and unhelpful in determining exactly what is inside each HDD model. Here's the WD Rep. response:

"Unfortunately we do not provide that information as the platter's inside the drives could change at anytime" :P

So I replied,what do changes consist of. WD Rep. response:

"While I cannot provide specifics regarding drive platters and platter sizes, I can tell you that in some drives we have 500 GB single platters, some we have 2 500 GB platters and in some cases we have four 750 GB platters in one drive and so forth. There is no pattern or specific configuration of platters inside of our drives."

Well that helps a little more in finding what is on the inside of each HDD :blink:

Why would one of the largest manufacturer of HDD's have no pattern or specific configurations for their Enterprise/Elite Gaming Line of HDD's :(

I am planning on building a gaming rig this fall with a RAID 0+ (SSD 120GB for boot/apps/fave game), and would like to know what line of HDD is more suitable for faster loading times etc. Another feature my rig must have is cool/quiet operation,so single platter drives are preferred. I plan to purchase larger external HDD's for backup/storage needs. Going on what the WD Rep. said the (NEW)WD1500HLHX,WD3000HLHX and(OLD)WD4500HLHX are 500GB single platter drives!!!woot B) .

Anyway maybe the experts here at StorageReview.com can shed some light on what is exactly inside the Velociraptor/Caviar Black HDD.

Sincerely,Togan

Platter configurations really do change a lot, and its hard to tell when it happens because the model numbers generally stay the same. I could go through my Caviar Green pile and pick out 4 vs 3 platter models, but going to anywhere like NewEgg/Amazon and picking the different models would be almost impossible.

Now with that said I don't believe any changes have taken place on the Velociprator in regards to platter changes.

Keep in mind that WD is also notorious for changing things up in their product lines while keeping the same primary model numbers, whereas Seagate and Hitachi are much more consistent...

Why would one of the largest manufacturer of HDD's have no pattern or specific configurations for their Enterprise/Elite Gaming Line of HDD's :(

Of course they have a pattern. They'd need it to track what gets produced and shipped in their factory. However, that does not mean it's available to the general public. I can't believe big OEM customers don't have a specific list of what is in each config that gets shipped to them, but I doubt such info gets passed to your typical Newegg-type reseller.

For the layperson, the only way to do so with any reliability is to look at the detailed model suffix. Not the main part of the model, which indicates total capacity, but the part after the hyphen in the model number.

Someone here started a thread to try and compile a decoder list of sorts, to cross-reference actual density vs. model number suffix, but I'm not sure where that thread is located now.

You can only be sure of the platter density and number of platters if you bought a hard drive that is at it's top capacity point, like say a 2TB Caviar Black right now. It would be 4 500GB platters. But say if you bought a 500GB version of the 2TB Caviar Black family, who knows if you'd get 1 500GB platter or two 333GB/platter, I'm not sure if the model# would reflect this.

I know with the green line that the model# could tell you the platter density (if you purchase the top capacity point) WDEACS vs WDEADS vs WDEAVS WDEARS or something like that.

So with the velociraptor, if you bought the 150GB version of the 600GB raptor, would you get a 1-platter drive? Probably but I don't think it's guaranteed. You could probably query the drive to see how many heads it has? Weigh it with a scientific scale and compare with datasheet. Compare STR.

I'd just get a Velociraptor if money is no concern and an SSD for your primary programs. But the 2TB Caviar Black is a great deal, you can find the whitelabel version of the drive for dirt cheap. Well below $100.

Going on what the WD Rep. said the (NEW)WD1500HLHX,WD3000HLHX and(OLD)WD4500HLHX are 500GB single platter drives!!!woot B) .

That seems a little strange. Pretty big bump from 200GB all the way up to 500GB per platter on the Velociraptors, and the 1TB Scorpio 9.5mm was just released. It'd be rather interesting to see their performance if this is true, though. :P

Someone here started a thread to try and compile a decoder list of sorts, to cross-reference actual density vs. model number suffix, but I'm not sure where that thread is located now.

Not to spam or advertise my site or anything, but I am actually keeping several lists on my blog that show which WD model number suffixes correspond to what platter densities are being used in the models. Of course, it's mostly guessing and looking at STRs to compare the models to other models with known platter density, but I just wanted to share. Link.