Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TSullivan

SanDisk Launches New Ultra SSD Line Discussion

7 posts in this topic

SanDisk announced their new Ultra SSD line, offering SATA II drives aimed at customers looking to bring new life to old systems. Offered in three capacities ranging from 60 to 240GB, these SSDs have speeds topping at 280MB/s read and 270MB/s write. With prices starting as low as $129.99, these drivers are aimed with budget shoppers in mind.

Read Full Article

Kind of a strange offering, but I'm generally enthusiastic about a big brand like SanDisk getting involved in the retail storage space. Of course they're deeply involved already in the embedded and OEM markets.

I imagine this is price point marketing. If they are $20 lower than other brands they will probably sell just fine if the performance is reasonable.

Does it use a Sandforce 1200? The claimed speeds are suspiciously close. Such "non-SF write speeds" would be extradinary for a 60 GB model with modern flash (8 GB dies).

MrS

The sequential read and write speeds do seem to indicate that it is a SF-1200 drive. It'll be a shame for Sandisk to abandon its SSD controller R&D though, despite the poor performance of the G3.

I don't know what they're using - the PR was very thin on detail. We're told we should get one in for review, so we'll see.