dain

HDD sounds during powerup

Compared to my other modern hard drives (including other low power drives) my Samsung HD154UI makes a nasty "KLICK" when it is first powered on. When the computer is working through the Bios load/POST it makes a loud "CHUH-CHUH-CHUH-CHUH-CHUH-CHUH-CHUH" the entire time.

Here it for yourself:

HDDsound.mp3

But as soon as the system hands itself over to Windows 7, the drive sounds normal. The entire time the drive in actual use it sounds fine. Ive checked every way possible with software: windows error-checking, seatools (all the included tests), HDtune. Ive copied 800GB off of it with no problem. Copying to the drive is OK too.

I don't think the drive used to make that CHUH CHUH CHUH.

A. What do you make of the sounds?

B. If I RMA the drive will they give me a new one, or will they say it works fine?

Edited by dain

If Seatools says it's fine, Seagate won't see any problem with it. Especially if the S.M.A.R.T. data passes with flying colors, (no fart gas passes whatsoever).

Question, does the drive make that chu-chu-chu-chu-chu sound if the data cable isn't plugged in but you just give the drive power?

What if you keep it as it is, with the data cable plugged in, but then when the BIOS is P.O.S.T.ing, hit the "Pause" button on your keyboard to pause P.O.S.T. and see how long the drive chu-chus. Just curious but from that additional info I can't tell you anything more, just curious.

Just keep a backup of your data because I don't think Seagate would do anything about it..

It is definitely not the standard initialization strokes that the drive usually makes, although I don't own that drive personally. It's retrying something over and over.. maybe calibrating with it's temperature (platters expanded a bit)? Who knows.

BTW, the first segment of the video sounds a bit edited, doesn't sound like the raw startup sound?

One idea would be to post this on the Seagate forums, and maybe post a link to this mp3 or better yet a video with this behavior, proving that the sound is from the particular drive. Some technician might be on the forums that might recognize the stroke pattern. Too bad there isn't a "logging" mode for hard drives, at least I don't know of it.

If you wanted to, you could try to RMA it and include the link to the video in the box?

Edited by danwat1234

Question, does the drive make that chu-chu-chu-chu-chu sound if the data cable isn't plugged in but you just give the drive power? Yes

What if you keep it as it is, with the data cable plugged in, but then when the BIOS is P.O.S.T.ing, hit the "Pause" button on your keyboard to pause P.O.S.T. and see how long the drive chu-chus. Just curious but from that additional info I can't tell you anything more, just curious. You're question has made me think. Ive done some listening tests and it does, from what i can tell by ear and a stopwatch, the same chu-chu-chu-chu-chu every time. about 10 seconds. with the drive powered with no sata cable, pausing at the POST, or normal, it's all the same rhythm and length of time.

Maybe some info on the audio recording would help. I stuck a microphone within a half an inch of the drive on the bottom. there are two parts. First is the drive's behavior when it first gets power and second, AFTER THE BEEP, is how it sounds in normal operation. I did shorten the gap between the spin up and the start of the chu-chu-chu-chu-chu sound because at the time, i thought it was a pause that was uninformative and boring. it was maybe 2 seconds. the pause would be and at :04 on this clip.

Edited by dain

Sounds a lot like what

was getting with his.

Seems like most of these drives make a similar noise on startup, so it's probably normal. My F3 single-platter units made a similar noise on startup, too.

Edited by RML527