Atamido

Need SSD Suggestion

I'm looking to boost responsiveness on my work laptop, and having already maxed out the RAM, I'm looking to drop in an SSD. I'm thinking ~120GB and <$300 USD (hopefully <$200).

The corporate standards require "Check Point Full Disk Encryption" software be installed, so the compression algorithms in the SandForce SF-2281 (DuraWrite) will be pretty useless.

Most of the time I'm just running a bunch of regular productivity apps simultaneously like Outlook, Firefox (with a million tabs), etc. Sometimes I'll run a VM, or extract out a Zip file with 50,000 files.

It doesn't need to be the king of speed, but I am upgrading for a reason. Reliability is pretty paramount here.

I don't know if I would completely discount the SF-2281 controllers since you are already running encryption. They offer it built in, but it doesn't slow down performance using or not using it.Even with 100% fully random data they are still pretty quick.

Seems to me right now the best value is the Agility 3 - you don't need the SATA III support obviously, but it's cheaper than buying something like the Intel 320.

Seems to me right now the best value is the Agility 3 - you don't need the SATA III support obviously, but it's cheaper than buying something like the Intel 320.

Okay, I just purchased the Vertex 3 120GB. Came across a NE deal where it was about $5 more than the Agility 3 120GB, so I figured why not.

You're right...the pricing on all four of their SSDs seems to fluctuate and at times is within a few bucks of each other. Report back and let us know how it goes for you!