TSullivan

IcyDock Fastest and Slowest Hard Drive Competition

So is a floppy disk still considered a platter based drive? ... or no?

after all, they do spin up and everything, just like a regular HD, just a LOT slower.

So is a floppy disk still considered a platter based drive? ... or no?

after all, they do spin up and everything, just like a regular HD, just a LOT slower.

it might be a (soft) platter, but floppy isn't "hard".

I have a bit of a problem....my IBM XT 8088 with 10mb MFM full height hard drive won't run Crystal Diskmark. I do have an old DOS based benchmark I can run though.... :unsure:

I have a bit of a problem....my IBM XT 8088 with 10mb MFM full height hard drive won't run Crystal Diskmark. I do have an old DOS based benchmark I can run though.... :unsure:

I would say grab some photos and screen shots proving that it is still in working condition and that there are no errors, I would have no issues loosing to that dinosaur. :D DOS 6.22 or early should work just fine :lol: Now I am bummed that i gave away my 8088 as well

Edited by Mkruer

Maybe I could walk you through IOMeter for that beast? At least in that case the test size could be adjusted for that small drive?

I would say grab some photos and screen shots proving that it is still in working condition and that there are no errors, I would have no issues loosing to that dinosaur. :D DOS 6.22 or early should work just fine :lol: Now I am bummed that i gave away my 8088 as well

hehe it runs DOS 2.1!! I might just do this....could be fun to see the result to say the least, even if I don't win :-P

Here's my page on the beast

Maybe I could walk you through IOMeter for that beast? At least in that case the test size could be adjusted for that small drive?

I'd need an IOMETER build compiled for DOS 2.1 first...then I need to put it on a 360k floppy, which is no problem as I have a few of those I can hook up to a modern system as well.

I DID IT!!!!

YouTube Video Of The BenchMark Running

This might just be the slowest hard drive....I decided to make video to show authenticity, and because the hard drive noise is epic :-)

Average Seek: 76.1MS

Track To Track: 18.5MS

Transfer Speed: 133.4K/Sec

Cheers!

I don't know if this contest is open to those outside of the US (I'm in Canada and no-one has answered yet), but I'll post my results anyway. :)

It's my WD Caviar AC31000H, the slowest drive I could find that could handle the 1000MB test size. Three platters for a 1.08GB total capacity, spinning at 4495rpm. ATA-2 interface and 128KB of cache in a standard 3.5" form factor. Made in January of 1995, despite some stiction issues when the drive is powered down for a long while (alleviated with some shaking before power-up), the drive works perfectly with no bad sectors or other problems.

post-69889-0-33298700-1311533497_thumb.j post-69889-0-22853700-1311533529_thumb.j post-69889-0-59462800-1311533581_thumb.j

Connected to my test system (with Biostar P4M80-M4 motherboard, which doesn't show up in CPU-Z for some reason :blink:), I first did a full (non-fast) format to NTFS before doing a chkdsk scan, and then commencing with CrystalDiskMark. Drive was set to single-drive master mode and connected to the primary IDE connector on my motherboard, with no other IDE devices present. (Main system hard drive is SATA).

Test system RAM is composed of one Crucial 1GB stick and one Nanya 512MB stick (both DDR-400), with 64MB taken away by the integrated graphics. Northbridge is the VIA P4M800 Pro and southbridge is the VIA VT8237R Plus. OS is Windows XP Home 32-bit. The card that you can see in one of the photos is a wireless card. I turned off the real-time protection on Microsoft Security Essentials to make sure it didn't interfere. Other system specifications are shown in the screenshots. Here are the results:

post-69889-0-60256500-1311533680_thumb.p post-69889-0-77672700-1311533697_thumb.p post-69889-0-52455800-1311533710_thumb.p

If any other information is desired, let me know. Good luck guys! :)

Edited by RML527

Heyas

Does it matter what system you use to benchmark? Obviously using an old pentium 2 would create an advantage over a modern dual core system. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Heyas, I have a Fujitsu M2611T 42mb Hard Disk benchmarked on AM486 DX/4/100Mhz, Interface is IDE.

Detailed system Specs:

WANG DTI Desktop

Amd 5x86 100Mhz

UMC Motherboard Chipset

Kingston 16 Meg of 30 Pin 4 Meg Simms (4 of) Two Chip Type

Vesa Local Bus Single Channel IDE Controller Card

Trident TGUI 9440 VLB Video Card 1 Meg Video Ram

Hi-Pro PSU

DOS 6.22 (No Himem/Emm386 or Smartdrv Loaded)

Fat 16 File System

Average/Max Seek Time: 26.31ms/36.53ms

Random Seek Time: 23.35ms

Track to Track Seek Time 10.09ms

Random Access time 35.84ms

Buffered read Speed 857kb/sec

Benched on SpeedSys 4.78 for Dos

post-73587-0-85115700-1311564031_thumb.jpost-73587-0-85126300-1311564124_thumb.jpost-73587-0-10531000-1311564320_thumb.jpost-73587-0-49984500-1311564419_thumb.jpost-73587-0-04639900-1311565768_thumb.j

Darcy

Edited by gecko87

With the rules clarified so that only spinners and not SSDs can enter for the highest speed portion of this test, I'm surprised that there hasn't been a single RAID entry yet. The fastest speed I see in this test that isn't flash based is under 130MBps. Any two halfway modern drives will beat that. Is everyone waiting till we get closer to the 12th? I've been watching this thread hoping to see some crazy setups. If no one posts anything I would hate to put two green drives in RAID0 and win the high speed portion of this contest with almost no effort. Let's see some speed people!

Goahead, grog. I think I only see like 2 contestants for fastest so make sure to to beat one of them. Also make sure to get it in by the 12th.

As for slowest, I think think there should be a separate category for 'slowest usable drive'. I don't think anyone would use the nifty Icydock Adapter/station for a 42mb hdd :) .

crystal6000e.jpg

(80GB IDE in a Dell 6000 notebook).

Technically it was stuck in PIO mode but it was still usable for more than a couple of months to a year for my mom(+laptop to hook to a downstairs LCD to show pictures). I only noticed it when it took a couple of hours to do a benchmark :P-Thanks IcyDock/Storagereview for the competition...I don't think I would have ever have ever benchmark such and old computer .

Actual results after fixing it is below:

cyrstal6000new.jpg

Do I win?

Computer Specs:

Case: Norco 4224

PSU: OCZ ZX 1250W 80+ Gold Full Modular

Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2

CPU: I7 920 D0 at 4.4Ghz (Water Cooled)

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 24GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 (6X4GB)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX260 core216 55nm (Water Cooled)

RAID Card: LSI 9260-4i

SAS Expander:Chenbro CK23601 36 Port 6Gbps

Monitor: Sony FW900 24" widescreen CRT (1920x1200@96Hz)

What I use it for: Email, Microsoft Word, and the occasional intense game of internet chess

Boot Drive: Intel X25-M G2 80GB

The CrystalDiskMark on the left with the best speed is 5 1TB 7,200RPM Hitachi drives in RAID0 on an LSI 9260-4i RAID card combined with a Chenbro CK23601 sas expander. This was going to be ten 1TB 7,200RPM drives in a RAID0 but I found out the day before yesterday that my five Samsung 1TB drives don't play nice with the RAID card. I was hoping to break 1GBps but that won't be happening unless I can trade those 5 drives for Hitachi or WD ones.

The middle CrystalDiskMark is seven 500GB 7,200RPM drives in a RAID0 on my LSI 9260-4i with the Chenbro CK23601 SAS expander. I had ten but 1 died on me and the RAID card didn't like the 2 Seagate drives. The 7 drives in this raid include 6 Western Digital drives and one Hitachi.

The CrystalDiskMark on the right with the worst speed tested my six 5,400RPM Hitachi 5K3000 3TB drives in a RAID6 also on the LSI 9260-4i and Chenbro CK23601 SAS expander. When I had these in RAID0 for testing they were faster than the 5 1TB drives but I didn't take a screen shot of a CrystalDiskMark benchmark for this contest since I didn't think they were fast enough to win and I was planning on entering with the ten 1TB 7,200RPM drives in a RAID0. For those wondering, this is where I actually store my data. The two RAID0 arrays I created just for testing and to enter this contest. I'll be putting them into RAID5 or RAID6 arrays soon.

My motherboard doesn't support SATA3 but my RAID card and SAS expander do so I could really use the Icy Dock MB982SP-1S Full Metal 2.5" to 3.5" SATA HDD & SSD Converter to be able to put a SATA3 SSD into one of my 24 hot swappable drive trays. Those newest SATA3 SSDs are much faster than my old Intel X25-M G2 80GB drive but putting one of those new drives on a SATA2 port really kills their performance.

My thanks go out to Icy Dock and Storage Review for having this contest.

Enough talking! Here is the pic!

icydockcomp.jpg

Edited by grogthegreat

Well I can't beat grogthegreat, but maybe second.

Case: Sunbeam Transformer

PSU: Corsair TX650W

Motherboard: DFI Lanparty

CPU: Core 2 Duo E7200

RAM: Wintec AmpX 2x 1GB DDR2 800

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6870

Hard Drives:

5x Western Digital WD740 RAID 0

2x Seagate 80 GB SATA RAID 1

2x Seagate 2TB LP

1x Hitachi 1TB

Raid is done through the ICH9R southbridge.

CrystalDisk bench below.

5xraptorraid0.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by ultimoblaze

Nuts! In the last two weeks I tore apart several old drives (for the magnets) including a 204 MEGAbyte Maxtor, and a couple of sub-10GB spinners from before 1999.

How about loudest working drive? I have a nice "half height" Barracuda 18 to enter.

Very nice. My dad trashed the 80286 with a 20MB HDD ("my" first PC) or I would probably still have it for sentiment.

By the way, I think my Barracuda is louder and "cooler" sounding. :-)

Edited by SHODAN

By the way, I think my Barracuda is louder and "cooler" sounding. :-)

I want to hear it! For some odd reason I like the sound of vintage hard drives :-P

Okay, I guess I have to make a recording now.

There is nothing odd about it! There is art in technology you can perceive working. Consider how many people like mechanical chronometers (Rolex), or the Steampunk genre, or a multitude of Science Fiction devices. An SSD may be efficient, but it will never be as interesting as a mechanical drive. When mechanical drives are no longer common, I intend to put a plexiglass top on one and keep using it.

Edited by SHODAN

I had an Osbourne 80286/12mhz with 4 meg of onboard ram (which was huge then). It had a fujitsu 32meg MFM hard disk running off an 8-bit XT controller card. This controller card was almost as slow as a floppy transferring at 32k per second. When I put a 16-bit Western Digital MFM controller card in this pc, the transfer rate increased to 127k/sec with the 32 meg fujitsu drive and 172k/sec with a Micropolis full height 74 meg drive.

The heads used to stick on the Fujitsu causing it to fail the spinup. This was resolved with a thump when powering up on some occaisions, yes it had to be parked too =).

Ahh the good old days.