eshap

List of drives using 4K sectors?

Why avoid them all?

As to drives on 4K - sheesh, at this point in the consumer space at least, it's probably over half of them, especially the larger capacities.

Why avoid them?

Simplicity for Windows XP systems. No write penalty for misaligned partitions. Maybe even better pricing if you dig around a bit.

But unfortunately the way HDD manufacturers mix platters in a drive family you won't be able to easily avoid it. Unless you buy older designs that have no chance of using newer platters.

I'd suggest read the reviews from 2 years ago (late 2009) and buy whatever was the best drive then. It should be reasonably priced now if there is sufficient stock. If not you'll have to read more reviews and pick a 2nd or 3rd choice until you find something still for sale at lower prices that isn't advanced format.

Of course another way of avoiding 4K sector hard drives would be to just buy SSDs going forward and any hard drive you buy can then be 4K or not with no care as it'll just a be a storage drive where performance won't matter.

Edited by dhanson865

Partition alignment isn't a concern because it's easy to set right regardless of OS. The problem is write performance penalty with things that assume 512 byte sectors. I also wonder if it could be a compatibility problem somehow with the old computer I intend to use it with.

In cases where 4K isn't the only option, why would anyone choose to have such a drive? Are there any real life advantages? How much is wasted on sector pre/postamble isn't a concern because the nett capacity is anyway as advertised. If ECC/EDC is better then that's one possible plus, but I don't think people are likely to run into that anyway.

the way HDD manufacturers mix platters in a drive family you won't be able to easily avoid it
Is there a correlation? There are both 512 and 4K drives with platters of the same size. Edited by eshap

Guest christianh

I just got hold of the WD20EARS-60MVWB0 it's a genuine 4kb drive.

Edited by christianh

Severe write performance issues if you end up with a 4K sector drive and your OS does not write properly aligned partitions to it...

Although honestly it shouldn't be much of a deal these days?

IIRC some NAS setups also have issues, but my memory on this is very fuzzy.

I'd say just stop using XP

Give me free Windows 7 or 8 licenses or at least a Win 7 or 8 that costs less than $50 a license* and has no activation process and I'll do it.

As is. I'll be holding out on XP and if I ever find something that won't work with XP I will take the leap and go linux (Ubuntu or another more modern user friendly distro). But for now I'm holding out.

We have 3 more years of XP use left at least (April 8, 2014 is end of support for XP).

* I'm not talking about restore disks, Anytime upgrades, or system builder licenses. I have 98SE, W2K, and WXP media if they want to do a media check for a traditional upgrade license that is OK. I just don't want to have to do any phone or online activations and I don't want to pay $100+ for a copy. And if MSFT can't do that for me open source will.