Sign in to follow this  
grkmec

Synology Hybrid RAID

Hi guys. I am a RAID newbie and wanted to ask some dumb questions. I just bought a Synology DS1511+ and a (7) Constellation 3TB drives. I was thinking about RAID 6 as I wanted the added reliability of a 2nd drive failing without losing data. But, I a now thinking about Synology's Hybrid RAID and had some questions / concerns:

1) Can you configure Synology's RAID to have 2 fail-safe drives instead of 1?

2) If I add a DX510 with another (5) 3TB drives, how will the additional drives be treated in RAID 6 vs. Synology's Hybrid RAID?

3) If I then have (10) 3TB drives in a DS1511+ / DX510 , do I know have 2 fail safe drives total, or 4?

Any advice you guys can offer would be much appreciated.

60+ views and no one knows?

Well I can answer your first question. The Hybrid RAID supports both 1 and 2 disk tolerance. As to the remaining two question I haven't had any first hand experience with the larger Synology models or expansion units... so I am not sure if they are seen as another RAID array or as individual drives to be added to the first group.

From Synology website

When running out of the hard drive capacity on the Synology DiskStation, the Synology DX510 provides an easy way to immediately scale capacity by an additional 5 hard drives. The RAID volume on the Synology DiskStation can be expanded directly without having to reformat the existing hard drives, ensuring the Synology DiskStation continues its service during the capacity expansion. When created as a separate volume, the Synology DX510 provides a great solution for backing up the Synology DiskStation.