Sign in to follow this  
grkmec

Need advice on NAS

I want to set-up a high end NAS system for my house. Cost is not really a consideration. My absolute #1 priority is reliability. I don't want to be trouble shooting this all the time. And I don't want to lose data.

From my limited research, here is what I am thinking:

Synology DS1511+

(5) Western Digital 2TB RE4 SATA 3 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64 MB (WD2003FYYS)

RAID 6

+ 2 cold spare drives on hand

Total price is around $2,400. Any thoughts / recommendations?

The Synology product is very good. What's the system going to be doing? How much storage do you need?

The Synology product is very good. What's the system going to be doing? How much storage do you need?

I don't know how much I need, but I want the most I can get. I know from experience that I always buy the biggest, or else I regret it later. I bought the biggest safe I could fit into my basement. Last month I bought a 14'x36' shed for my backyard as it was the biggest shed that could fit through my driveway entrance. If there was a legit 3TB enterprise drive like the Western Digital RE4, I would consider upping to 3TBs... I like the fact the the DS1511+ is expandable to add 2 more DX510's.

The system will be used to store all media (HD movies, HD TV shows, music, home movies, pictures) and personal files (word docs, excel, powerpoint, pdfs). I would like to to be able to stream HD video and music - ideally to multiple users simulateously. I would like to be able to access my files over the internet from a remote location.

Okay, so everything you want to do, you can accomplish in pretty easy fashion with the Synology family. The RE4 is probably a bit overkill, but if you want max storage and an enterprise drive you might consider the 3TB Seagate Constellation.

Yea the 3TB Constellation ES.2 SATA model is as close to the RE4 as you can get without slapping a WDC logo on it. Given the need for highest levels of reliability, will you be going with RAID6 to allow more than one drive to fail before your data is damaged?

Yea the 3TB Constellation ES.2 SATA model is as close to the RE4 as you can get without slapping a WDC logo on it. Given the need for highest levels of reliability, will you be going with RAID6 to allow more than one drive to fail before your data is damaged?

Yes, definitely doing RAID 6 for reliability. Thanks for the suggestion on the seagate constellation. What about the Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB:

http://www.hitachigst.com/internal-drives/enterprise/ultrastar/ultrastar-7k3000

Claims 2M MTBF. Apparently these drives were chosen by EMC for the Isilon system:

http://www.hitachigst.com/press-room/2011/emc-isilon-uses-hitachi-hdds-to-deliver-worlds-largest-single-file-system-for-big-data

Those Hitachi drives should be very solid as well, they were the first to up the MTBF spec to 2 million and they think that's light still if you talk to their people off the record.

Those Hitachi drives should be very solid as well, they were the first to up the MTBF spec to 2 million and they think that's light still if you talk to their people off the record.

So Hitachi 3TB Ultrastar is $349 at Newegg vs. $359 for Seagate 3TB Constellation. So is correct to conclude that Hitachi drive is cheaper, faster and comes with a higher theorectical reliability?

I don't know if it's faster and reliability in such small quantities is more luck and shipping practices than anything else. I don't think you can go wrong with either one however.

I don't know if it's faster and reliability in such small quantities is more luck and shipping practices than anything else. I don't think you can go wrong with either one however.

I just double-checked the Synology website and it doesnt list the Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB as compatible (Model: ST33000650NS). Do you think this drive will work with the DS1511+ ? It lists the Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB (Model: HUA723030ALA640) as being compatible.

Edited by grkmec

I just double-checked the Synology website and it doesnt list the Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB as compatible (Model: ST33000650NS). Do you think this drive will work with the DS1511+ ? It lists the Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB (Model: HUA723030ALA640) as being compatible.

So I checked Synology website again today and it looks like they added the 3TB constellation drive... So I just pulled the trigger on a DS1511+ and (7) 3TB constellation drives. Looking forward to setting this bad boy up. Thanks for everyone's help.