Sign in to follow this  

Q: Silent, single-platter 2½" HDD

I'm an old hand here, from way back before the "great forum crash". Now I have been away from harddisk drives for a long time, and have no idea what to buy...

I'm looking for a second HDD for my laptop, for storage. Performance is not a primary concern, the OS + main apps will be on a mSATA SSD. I'm looking for:

• A 'regular' height 2½ inch drive,
  • as quiet as possible,
  • which probably leads to it being a single-platter drive (?),
  • and probably means it's a lower-RPM drive (5400 RPM or lower)?

With regards to capacity, I want as much as I can, but within the constraints above. I'm OK with 320 GB, but a little more would be nice. Can someone speed me along, which of today's drives seem appropriate?

Thank you,

Edited by 270673

I think Samsung has the technology, but not sure what they're shipping.

Actually looks like Hitachi (Z5K500), Seagate (Momentus Thin), Samsung, etc. should all have single-platter 500GB models. I imagine the regular 9.5mm thick product lines have single-platter ones using the exact same technology, but I'm not sure which specific models would be it.

Thanks all. I looked at StorageReviews test of the Hitachi Z5K500, and I'm still considering that drive -- even if it's slow. I was not able to find any reviews of the Seagate Momentus Thin.

I think right now I will most likely wait a few weeks until it has retail availability, and then 'blindly' buy the Samsung Spinpoint M8 500 GB (HN-M500MBB). It's a single-platter 500 GB 5400 RPM drive, which I would buy on Samsungs past quiet 2½" drive reputation alone -- no reviews yet; only press releases about mass production having begun.

Don't rule out 1-platter-2-platter/7200RPM drives and 2-platter/5400RPM. Some are quieter than others but it takes some time to read the reviews.

The 1TB 2platter/5400RPM standard height drives are out; Samsung Spinpoint m8

Thanks all. I looked at StorageReviews test of the Hitachi Z5K500, and I'm still considering that drive -- even if it's slow. I was not able to find any reviews of the Seagate Momentus Thin.

I think right now I will most likely wait a few weeks until it has retail availability, and then 'blindly' buy the Samsung Spinpoint M8 500 GB (HN-M500MBB). It's a single-platter 500 GB 5400 RPM drive, which I would buy on Samsungs past quiet 2½" drive reputation alone -- no reviews yet; only press releases about mass production having begun.

Hey, I'm looking for something very similar. (A decent, quiet 2.5 HDD). Did your experience with the M8 turn out alright? What did you end up doing?

(If anyone else could share their experience with quiet/low vibration drives that would be great.)