EvilNewbie

Debating which SSD to go with...

I am considering the OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 (slated to come out in July) versus the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G... the drive will be used for OS, ms office, and gaming...

1) I would like to game on MMORPG but I am wondering if its a good idea to install the game on the SSD since it probably has a lot of read/write cycles... would that be a good idea?

2) the same with the OS which would allow me to boot faster but at the same time, I usually put my computer in Sleep mode... would it be a good idea to put the OS on the SSD?

Any opinions?

You're comparing pretty different drives, what capacity are you thinking?

1) You will be hard pressed to wear the drive out...it just doesn't happen unless you're dealing with a lot of huge files.

2) OS definitely needs to go on the SSD.

A Revodrive is overkill for any typical computer applications..even if you have a 5GHZ Sandybridge i7. Get the Extreme Pro.. it will pwn anything you put against it.

Yeah what Brian said, put all your software and OS on the SSD, don't worry about write cycles.

Edited by danwat1234

Even better, I love free SSDs ;)

I'd go with the 240GB Vertex Max IOPS then and call it a day. You'll be very happy.

The Vertex 3 is slightly "faster" in some benchmarks, not all. And keep in mind that in real world use, faster benchmark scores for SSDs translate into 0.5sec difference AT BEST. Go with the OWC Mercury Pro 6G. The ONLY SSD drive on the market that comes with a FIVE YEAR WARRANTY.

The Vertex 3 is slightly "faster" in some benchmarks, not all. And keep in mind that in real world use, faster benchmark scores for SSDs translate into 0.5sec difference AT BEST. Go with the OWC Mercury Pro 6G. The ONLY SSD drive on the market that comes with a FIVE YEAR WARRANTY.

Intel also has 5 year warranties now. I should point out that there is a counterintuitive problem with long warranties on Sandforce drives. Sandforce has a "feature" in their firmware called "life throttling", which is a part of their DuraClass system. It allows the OEM SSD builder to specify how much you are allowed to write to the drive within some time frame before the drive cuts the writes down to as low as 6 MB/sec according to the most current DuraClass testing. This throttling is strictly for warranty purposes and the throttling severity is adjustable as a setting in the firmware and can be changed by the vendor at any time with the correct version of MPtools, which has obviously not been made available to the public. OCZ, as the OEM who works most closely with SandForce, spilled the beans on this some time ago, but the information is also available to some extent right on the SandForce website in their DuraClass information. How and when this throttling kicks in and at what points is mostly unknown. In the test I am referring to the severe 6 MB/sec throttle didn't happen until after 30 TB of writes, but after that it kicked in very quickly to varying degrees. Also the state change going from "new" to "abused" seemed to be permanent and was not resettable with a secure erase (despite what OCZ claims). After leaving the drive in the powered on idle state for some unknown period ranging from hours to days the drive goes back to normal write speeds again, but it has a hair trigger at that point for sensing too many write operations per unit time. Anyway, just a heads up on this issue.

I think the Crucial C300 or M4 should also be considered. Or even an Intel 510. The C300 does especially well on read speeds, often beating the OCZ drives in some tests. The OCZ drives have a huge advantage with highly compressible data due to their clever on-the-fly compression, but most people are dealing with data of varying degrees of compressibility. Keep in mind that a 34nm or 32nm SSD theoretically has longer life if you assume the same degree of write amplification. The OCZ IOPS does have that longevity advantage.

Edited by gojirasan

Intel offers the 5 year only on the 320, the 510 is still 3 years.

FWIW, as has been acknowledged at Anandtech and many other places there is an issue with the Vertex 3 120 GB SSDs. OCZ supposedly released firmware V 2.08 last night in an effort to resolve issues with the SSDs failing to come out of hibernation, BSOD or un-initiated re-booting. Reportedly V 2.08 firmware helped some but not all folks experiencing these issues.

It's "faster" and since budget isn't an issue...then why not?

I don't like faster!

I don't want headache!

Vertex is not a drive to depend on, for serious work, if you want to benchmark all day until the drive died on you, then go for the vertex, if you want a fast reliable drive then go Intel.

Why do I need to open my case to unplug the drive, turn off the system, tweak for drive to work?

I am not a lab, I want the drive to work, not to waste my time on something that I paid 500 or 600 dollars.

I don't like faster!

I don't want headache!

Vertex is not a drive to depend on, for serious work, if you want to benchmark all day until the drive died on you, then go for the vertex, if you want a fast reliable drive then go Intel.

Why do I need to open my case to unplug the drive, turn off the system, tweak for drive to work?

I am not a lab, I want the drive to work, not to waste my time on something that I paid 500 or 600 dollars.

I realized this myself after having a Vertex fail. Spent hours on their forums digging for information, PM'ing the admin for a destructive flash, and ended up sending the drive back for RMA after several erases and OS installs only to have the hardware fail repeatedly. I've bought roughtly 10 Intel drives since that time without any headaches. OCZ does have decent forums and backs up the product with replacement when necessary, so don't get me wrong there. If you're interested in reliability then skip Sandforce and get a Micron or Intel.

I realized this myself after having a Vertex fail. Spent hours on their forums digging for information, PM'ing the admin for a destructive flash, and ended up sending the drive back for RMA after several erases and OS installs only to have the hardware fail repeatedly. I've bought roughtly 10 Intel drives since that time without any headaches. OCZ does have decent forums and backs up the product with replacement when necessary, so don't get me wrong there. If you're interested in reliability then skip Sandforce and get a Micron or Intel.

Amen to that brother!! :)

Good take...that's always the one thing that we comment about in the Micron and Intel reviews. When you control most of the drive, it makes life easier. Intel may not be the fastest, but you don't hear about issues like this as much from Intel and Micron.

Good take...that's always the one thing that we comment about in the Micron and Intel reviews. When you control most of the drive, it makes life easier. Intel may not be the fastest, but you don't hear about issues like this as much from Intel and Micron.

I agree with you !

I own an iMac 27 Ultimate but because of firmware incompatibility issues between the iMac's Intel chipset & SATA controller and the OCZ Vertex 3 firmware the Vertex 3 drive does not run as smoothly as the Intel 510 drive does.

Hence I bought the Intel 510 256 gb drive for my new iMac 27 Ultimate and never looked back even though the 510 is clearly slower than the Vertex 3, it still runs solid and definitely faster than the Toshiba SATA II 256 gb SSD that my iMac 27 came preinstalled with ;)

As long as Intel SSD drives runs more stable I'd sacrifice and take the small performance drop with a smile.

Maybe OSx Lion, Win 7 and Photoshop CS 4 open 1-2 seconds faster, but when compared to the old HDD where we talked about 10's of seconds or even half a minute, 1-2 seconds is NOTHING when compared to the extra reliability and warranty of the Intel SSD drives.

As it is - I currently only look at tests of OCZ SSD drives - but buys Intel SSD. Same with smartphones - sure the Samsung SG2 & HTC Desire are both nice, but they are no 'IPhone' and will never be ;)

Same with Sony Vaio & Lenovo Thinkpad notebooks. Great laptops, but I'll take a MacBook Air (New one out soon) over both any time !!

Sorry for going OT !

I still hope Intel will go back to using their own controller in their ssd's once again, but with the 510 running so well - maybe they won't...... ;)

----

Vh/Regards

Claus - TapaTalk on my Ip4

Edited by dr.ralph

If the revo3 x2 is within your budget (=free), then get it. It's way faster than any SATA SSD.

You may want to check for motherboard compatibility, though.

hi Telstar, you compare a PCI-express card to a single SSD.

On the other hand a FOREMAY PCI-E EC188-D (hexa bus) gives you 4500mb/3500mb per second and will blow your Revodrive away.

best

Fast is Better

On the other hand a FOREMAY PCI-E EC188-D (hexa bus) gives you 4500mb/3500mb per second and will blow your Revodrive away.

Never heard about it. You seem a rep of this company, send some samples for review to SR and other reliable sites :)

specs seem good:

http://www.foremay.net/ec188-ssd-solid-state-drive-flash-hard-drives.htm

1) I would like to game on MMORPG but I am wondering if its a good idea to install the game on the SSD since it probably has a lot of read/write cycles... would that be a good idea?

I was thinking 240 GB... both drives are within budget (and its free considering, my company is paying for it)...

Nobody's asked the magic question: Can we work for your company?... 1) I would like to game on MMORPG B)

But on a real note I'm trying to find the most reliable hi speed sata3 SSD under $200, Intel 510 doesn't have one(60gb or so)

I was looking at the Patriot Wildfire 240GB which uses the same Toggle NAND as the OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS... anyway, I found it on NewEgg for like $495 which seems like a good deal.. my problem is this... I plan on building my own computer and waiting for the AMD Bulldozer 8170P chips to come out which will be sometime at the end of this year or early next year... should I buy the Patriot Wildfire now? I am a little worry about buying it now and not knowing if it is broken before I start building... I hear good things about Patriot and since it uses the same similar components as OCZ max iops, I figure it would be better (in the sense that they are not OCZ)...

Patriot Wildfire has said they have had zero issues and use the same Sandforce controllers... makes me think that maybe the Sandforce controller isn't really the issue? But then Patriot only recently released their SSD...

Edited by EvilNewbie

Patriot did take a while, part of the last batch of SF-2281 releases. We just got our review unit and are working it over.