TSullivan

The Hard Drive Giveaway Thread!

Looking to give away some hard drives, and this time I will add some options into the mix. Looking for a low-power 2TB drive? Maybe a high-performance 3.5" drive? Or how about you need something for a notebook? Well you are in luck!

Right now I have a mix of drives that I can give away to help clear up some space in the lab.

• 2TB 3-platter (new version) Western Digital Caviar Green or 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP/Green
  • 1TB Western Digital RE3
  • 500GB Hitachi 7K500
  • 750GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue

Depending on the number of replies I get, I will be flexible on the first cut-off date. After that we will continue until the original list is gone. As times goes on I will update this thread with additional drives we can clean out of the lab.

Looking to give away some hard drives, and this time I will add some options into the mix. Looking for a low-power 2TB drive? Maybe a high-performance 3.5" drive? Or how about you need something for a notebook? Well you are in luck!

Right now I have a mix of drives that I can give away to help clear up some space in the lab.

• 2TB 3-platter (new version) Western Digital Caviar Green or 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP/Green
  • 500GB Hitachi 7K500

Depending on the number of replies I get, I will be flexible on the first cut-off date. After that we will continue until the original list is gone. As times goes on I will update this thread with additional drives we can clean out of the lab.

I'd be happy to get some 2TBs... any brand...

Thanks!

MEJV

• 500GB Hitachi 7K500

A 2TB drive would be great (I'm desperately in need of a replacement). A 1 TB drive would be a quite useful second choice (if I had to choose).

Re: Brands- FWIW, I never owned a WD; my sense is that many folks seem to either love the brand or hate it. I've owned Seagates, and have had mixed experiences with its products (used to be great; not so great these past few years).

I'll take a 2TB, 1TB, or a 750GB Scorpio. Prefer the 2TB or Scorpio. Strongly prefer the 2TB, it would serve as a backup drive to my existing 2TB.

LOL is this all their is to it? TSullivan, why don't you just make some money yourself and sell them on ebay or something

Edited by danwat1234

I'll take a 2TB, 1TB, or a 750GB Scorpio. Prefer the 2TB or Scorpio.

LOL is this all their is to it? TSullivan, why don't you just make some money yourself and sell them on ebay or something

Some sites do sell review product to pay for expenses, but we don't think that's ethical. So - we give stuff away to our forums users, who are the most loyal to StorageReview.com. You'll see more of this as we clear out product that's a little dated or something we have several of.

do this giveaway works for international people?

i am willing to pay for the shipping cost, if you willing to ship oversea :lol:

Unfortunately we're only limiting this to the US. Sorry.

I am looking to replace a 500GB 3.5in SATA(want to reformat to 64bit so I figure it is time to upgrade that old drive) so anything will be great. 750/1TB preferred.

Heck, I will even take the 500GB Hitachi if that is the only one left, so I can throw one in a esata enclosure to get a decent external drive for backups(all my external drives house IDE drives and my HP SFF only has 1 hdd bay).

Edited by Kdawgca

I'd love to get one of these! Or any 2.5" drive really, SATA or IDE. I've been purely on notebooks for years now, and I never have enough capacity, especially for backups. And, I've promised myself to never break down and get a 3.5" in an enclosure. The 2.5" enclosures+drives are so much more portable, quiet, and free of power supplies. I only wish they could hold, say, 2 TB :)

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by mspacek

I'd take any of them but if we need to show an order of preference I'd guess

500GB Hitachi 7K500 (I'd use it to replace the boot drive in my desktop system which has a very slow WD2500KS-00MJB0)

750GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue (I'd probably put this in my GF's netbook replacing the stock 250GB hard drive assuming the drive would fit height wise, if it wouldn't fit I'd do the WD2500KS-00MJB0 replacement on the desktop)

1TB Western Digital RE3 (again for the desktop boot drive replacement of the WD2500KS-00MJB0)

2TB 3-platter (new version) Western Digital Caviar Green or 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP/Green (I'd use these for storage/backups or maybe I'd use it as an excuse to build a PVR since my cable provider has one of the worst DVRs I've ever used. I'd still need a tuner card though).

Wow, again with the freebie, this time however I will abstain, as I already have all the drives I need at the moment. However if those new 4TB come out soon then I will look forward to participating, providing that I haven't bought it my self by then.

Im interested in this one

Looks like we have our first winner, congrats kittle ;)

RE3 is off the list, time to get rid of the rest :lol:

• 500GB Hitachi 7K500

I can use the 2TB drive, any brand.

If this is not available I can use the following in the order:

1TB, 750GB, 500GB.

Thanks

I could use the Hitachi 500GB. My parents' computer needs more storage space. I would give it to them and put their old drive in an enclosure.

Edited by cheapie

Looks like we have our first winner, congrats kittle ;)

RE3 is off the list, time to get rid of the rest :lol:

kittle got the 1TB Western Digital RE3 (congrats kittle)

Give mejv one of the two 2TB drives and

Give the 500GB Hitachi 7K500 to me

then you only have to pick two more friendly storage review posters for the remaining 2TB and 750GB drives. B)

mejv, kittle, and I have the 3 oldest join dates in the thread and since that stat works to my favor I chose to highlight it :)

Then find someone with Win7 for the 750GB drive since it is advanced format.

I can't think of a good way to pick the other 2TB other than random picks between the multiple posters that wanted a 2 TB drive.

.. The 2.5" enclosures+drives are so much more portable, quiet, and free of power supplies. I only wish they could hold, say, 2 TB :)

Cheers,

Martin

Hey! 2TB will be available soon, maybe. If Seagate renews their 2.5" 4- platter Goflex freeagent drive.. Powered by USB

Hey! 2TB will be available soon, maybe. If Seagate renews their 2.5" 4- platter Goflex freeagent drive.. Powered by USB

Hm. Perhaps, but not in a 9.5mm drive in the foreseeable future. I am waiting and hoping for a 1 TB 7200 RPM 9.5mm 2.5" drive to hit the market soonish, given the recent jump to 625 Gb/sq inch. Plus, I've always been somehow suspicious of buying an integrated external drive. I'm much more comfortable with knowing exactly what drive I have, and being able to swap it out at will.

Hm. Perhaps, but not in a 9.5mm drive in the foreseeable future. I am waiting and hoping for a 1 TB 7200 RPM 9.5mm 2.5" drive to hit the market soonish, given the recent jump to 625 Gb/sq inch. Plus, I've always been somehow suspicious of buying an integrated external drive. I'm much more comfortable with knowing exactly what drive I have, and being able to swap it out at will.

Oh my, speak of the devil! Just moments after my post I noticed the news item on the main page about the newly announced 1TB 9.5mm Samsung SpinPoint M8. Sounds like it's only 5400 RPM though. Almost there!

Edited by mspacek

Oh my, speak of the devil! Just moments after my post I noticed the news item on the main page about the newly announced 1TB 9.5mm Samsung SpinPoint M8. Sounds like it's only 5400 RPM though. Almost there!

That Seagate 1.5TB Freeagent 2.5" drive is removable from the enclosure and doesn't have a USB bridge built right on the drive's PCB or anything like that. People have been able to plug it in their laptops.. provided their laptop can take 14mm thickness...

• 500GB Hitachi 7K500

Curious: What are the cut-off dates, how are the "winners" chosen, and how are the lucky ones notified?

Cutoff dates are Sunday, winners are randomly picked. PM notifies you (as well as one of us posting the winner in this thread)