TSullivan

The Hard Drive Giveaway Thread!

Thanks for the drive Storagereview! the 750GB Scorpio is working great and glad that you shipped it perfectly with the silica packet in the anti-static bag and everything. Came with 130 hrs on time and like 20 starts and stops. Thanks again

Glad you enjoyed it. Incidentally, the way you got it is the way WD ships us drives. I can't say that they all come that way though ;)

My favorite was a loose drive in a passed FedEx envelope. The envelope wasn't even tightened down on the drive, it was just free floating in the pouch. Egad.

Most of the other drives should be to the winners soon as well...except our friend in the UK, still working on that :)

Time for me to say thanks as well. Of course I over-analyze things so if you are the type to think TL;DR you can stop here.

1. The drive is advanced format and I'm using Windows XP.

2. WDC only allows the advanced format tool for XP to be downloaded if you register the product (provide a serial number + all your personal info). I did this to test the process but it turns out I didn't need the WD Align / Acronis tool.

3. Registering the drive says the warranty expiration date was 9/2/2010 (September 2nd for any confused by US date format). This drive was supposed to have a 3 year warranty and it was manufactured in Aug 2010 so this was a surprise to me. Since I don't have proof of purchase I wouldn't be given warranty support anyway but I thought it odd that the warranty expired the month after it was made unless this is a replacement drive for an older drive that failed under warranty.

4. Zero reallocated sectors or any other red flags via SMART data. 400 hours of on time, a dozen or so power on cycles. Essentially an unused or very lightly used drive.

5. Bench of a partition made on first 10% of the drive formatted by XP SP3 with no AF tools or jumpers in play. (Partition made in XP SP3 disk management). Bench run with the drive as a secondary with no data.

--------------------------------------------------

CrystalDiskMark 2.2 © 2007-2008 hiyohiyo

Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/

Sequential Read : 131.203 MB/s

Sequential Write : 124.092 MB/s

Random Read 512KB : 42.370 MB/s

Random Write 512KB : 23.025 MB/s

Random Read 4KB : 0.533 MB/s

Random Write 4KB : 0.275 MB/s

Test Size : 1000 MB

Date : 2011/07/30 22:38:47

6. Ran WD Align in windows, rebooted, retested existing partition now aligned. Again no data, secondary drive.

Sequential Read : 132.129 MB/s

Sequential Write : 129.087 MB/s

Random Read 512KB : 42.398 MB/s

Random Write 512KB : 70.196 MB/s

Random Read 4KB : 0.488 MB/s

Random Write 4KB : 1.142 MB/s

Date : 2011/07/30 22:58:34

Huge increase in random write speed vs the unaligned partition.

7. Used HDAT2 to set max address down to a roughly 1TB drive and used a Win 7 recovery disk (free DL from Microsoft) to gain access to a modern version of DISKPART so I could create a properly aligned NTFS partition to install XP SP3 on. For kicks here is another bench before I install an OS on it just to see if there is any difference between a fresh partition with a correct offset and a improper offset partition fixed by WD Align / Acronis :

Sequential Read : 132.563 MB/s

Sequential Write : 128.754 MB/s

Random Read 512KB : 45.085 MB/s

Random Write 512KB : 71.130 MB/s

Random Read 4KB : 0.541 MB/s

Random Write 4KB : 1.133 MB/s

Date : 2011/08/01 14:26:56

most likely the difference between the benches of the two aligned partitions are just margin of error differences in the benchmark runs.

8. Installed XP SP3, ASUS/AMD drivers, AV and such. Did the Windows Update dance several times to get about 125 or so critical/important updates. I tried starting the XP install more than once to see if leaving the file system in place or letting the XP CD reformat the aligned partition would make any difference. Partition remains aligned and works OK either way (rebooted from the Win 7 recovery disk to check alignment with DISKPART before I actually finished the XP install).

I've installed dozens of apps and have several open while this bench was running but a final confirmation that in use the write speed is still not degraded we have:

Sequential Read : 126.107 MB/s

Sequential Write : 123.624 MB/s

Random Read 512KB : 41.007 MB/s

Random Write 512KB : 70.124 MB/s

Random Read 4KB : 0.498 MB/s

Random Write 4KB : 1.152 MB/s

Date : 2011/08/03 10:34:36

and if you want to compare that vs the drive that was in my PC there is this post

WD20EARS vs WD2500KS the new drive is roughly 3x faster sequential reads and writes. Roughly 2x faster on the random 512KB, and barely faster on the random 4KB. All with less noise, less heat, less power. Enough so that I took the intake (front) fan out of the case and the new drive is still cooler than the old drive was with a fan blowing directly on it. It's only a couple of watts less power draw but you can feel the difference in heat between the two drives if you touch them or look at drive temps in any program that monitor drive temps.

Oh and for all the differences between unaligned and aligned partitions on an advanced format drive, I still would have come out ahead in speed switching the drives even if I got lazy about it and left the partition unaligned. 64MB vs 16MB cache and denser platters more than make up for doing it wrong. Much better to do it right but interesting to see how slow of a drive I put up with over the years.

Yea my Scorpio black 750GB warranty expired on December something 2010. Must be because the drive was an engineering sample or something

Whatever the story so long as it works until I have a stack of SSDs on my desk I'm happy. I'm guessing this drive will last plenty long enough.

2TB is a lot of backups if I ever take it that route. Everything I've ever done on every PC I've ever owned fits on a 250GB drive once you git rid of the duplicates and the program directories for outdated games like the original MYST. It's performance that drives me to put newer drives in my PCs not capacity.

Everything in my PC case is cooler except the video card which is slightly warmer without the front intake fan. A tradeoff I'm willing to take until I switch cases or twist tie a 120mm fan in the front of this old case.

Yeah, the drives we get are not retail - so warranty...meh. Hey, at least they were FREE! ;)

If it gives you any idea how worried I am about it I'm using the drive as the boot device on a system I use daily. I wouldn't do that if I had any significant doubts about the usability of the drive.

To paraphrase Bobby McFerrin I'm not worrying, I'm happy. :)

I would love a portable hard drive. I joined this stie today to get some feedback on the best shockproof hard drives as I have had a bit of unfortunate luck recently.

Not long ago my hard drive stopped working, i always have it backed up so I brought a new 1TB WD portable hard drive so I could transfer everything from my backup hard drive to the new 1TB HD, during this the transfer stalled so I cancelled and restarted. Still no luck so I took them both to my local IT company.

The new 1TB disc stopped spinning,lucky my, I purchased a dud. Worst of all, my backup hard drive had something wrong with the Master File Table and they could not recover any data!!!! I currently have this in with a data recovery speciality in the hope that I at least get my photos back.

So, I'm hoping a shockproof hard drive will reduce my chances of causing damage to my hard drive when lugging it around with me.

3 hard drive failures in 1 week, what luck. Now I am in the market for an everyday use hard drive I can take around with me and a back up hard drive. It would be fantastic if you provided me with one of these.

Looking to give away some hard drives, and this time I will add some options into the mix. Looking for a low-power 2TB drive? Maybe a high-performance 3.5" drive? Or how about you need something for a notebook? Well you are in luck!Right now I have a mix of drives that I can give away to help clear up some space in the lab.

• 2TB 3-platter (new version) Western Digital Caviar Green or 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP/Green
  • 1TB Western Digital RE3
  • 500GB Hitachi 7K500
  • 750GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue

Depending on the number of replies I get, I will be flexible on the first cut-off date. After that we will continue until the original list is gone. As times goes on I will update this thread with additional drives we can clean out of the lab.

I want a 2TB 3-platter Western Digital Caviar Green or 1TB Western Digital RE3. I have more interest of this two hard drives. Thanks for the giveaway.