TSullivan

The Hard Drive Giveaway Thread!

Looking to give away some hard drives, and this time I will add some options into the mix. Looking for a low-power 2TB drive? Maybe a high-performance 3.5" drive? Or how about you need something for a notebook? Well you are in luck!

Right now I have a mix of drives that I can give away to help clear up some space in the lab.

• 2TB 3-platter (new version) Western Digital Caviar Green or 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP/Green
  • 1TB Western Digital RE3
  • 500GB Hitachi 7K500
  • 750GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue

Depending on the number of replies I get, I will be flexible on the first cut-off date. After that we will continue until the original list is gone. As times goes on I will update this thread with additional drives we can clean out of the lab.

I would love a 2tb drive.

kittle got the 1TB Western Digital RE3 (congrats kittle)

Give mejv one of the two 2TB drives and

Give the 500GB Hitachi 7K500 to me

then you only have to pick two more friendly storage review posters for the remaining 2TB and 750GB drives. B)

mejv, kittle, and I have the 3 oldest join dates in the thread and since that stat works to my favor I chose to highlight it :)

Then find someone with Win7 for the 750GB drive since it is advanced format.

I can't think of a good way to pick the other 2TB other than random picks between the multiple posters that wanted a 2 TB drive.

Looks like dhanson865 is our next winner, with one of the 2TB drives with your name on it ;)

mejv, kittle, and I have the 3 oldest join dates in the thread and since that stat works to my favor I chose to highlight it :)

really? ;-)

If only it were that simple. We use a much more robust winner selection engine ;)

You have all the names of contestants on the ground and then you guys spin Sullivan around and around in an office chair until he becomes dizzy and falls on a name, right? :P

Congrats to the two winners. Make the to send the hdds to my house for a 5 year+ long test/verification.

Edited by Kdawgca

You have all the names of contestants on the ground and then you guys spin Sullivan around and around in an office chair until he becomes dizzy and falls on a name, right? :P

Congrats to the two winners. Make the to send the hdds to my house for a 5 year+ long test/verification.

Noted...

please arrange a cross-ship so I can avoid downtime while you are testing.

Looks like dhanson865 is our next winner, with one of the 2TB drives with your name on it ;)

Cool, do I PM you an address?

I'll take the Seagate LP if I get my choice of the 2TB drives.

Don't suppose any drives are left at this late date, but can you please keep me in mind for any future drives running at least 7200 rpm w/ 1 tb (+/-) of space? Otherwise, I'm more worried about reliability than top-end performance.

Keep up all the great work you do!

Got your PM, we were getting a bit behind in some content, but all the drives are boxed and ready to go. We might end up shooting them all out at the same time. ;)

I'll take a 2TB, 1TB, or a 750GB Scorpio. Prefer the 2TB or Scorpio. Strongly prefer the 2TB, it would serve as a backup drive to my existing 2TB.

LOL is this all their is to it? TSullivan, why don't you just make some money yourself and sell them on ebay or something

And you are picked for last weeks cutoff (forgot to pick one this week with stuff going on in the office) :P

You get the Scorpio

Looks like next Monday we will pick the winner for the 7K500 and mail them all out.

And you are picked for last weeks cutoff (forgot to pick one this week with stuff going on in the office) :P

You get the Scorpio

Looks like next Monday we will pick the winner for the 7K500 and mail them all out.

I'll give the 7k500 a good ventilated home. I promise.

count me in for any of them - always been told i'm not fussy!

Was out of town for the 4th, but you are the final winner for the 7K500.

All drives are shipping out tomorrow, going to shoot all of you guys a PM to just reconfirm the addresses.

So when are you going to do the SSD give away :lol: And before people ask, yes that was somewhat sarcastic, and i have no ideas on what the owners of Storagerview intend to do in the future, if they do anything at all.

Edited by Mkruer

I would like some drive, 500Gb or larger as a complement to my Velociraptor WD300GLFS which is the only hdd in my rig. I've begun to run out of space recently and need to add another one sooner or later.

I joined this forum because of this thread.. In the past 2 years, both my data storing Seagate 320 GB's have died.. :( One last year, and one this year.. I've trusted them with my files (which was clearly a mistake). Now i barely use my desktop because i got less space since im using multiple 40 and 80GB drives. I would like to win a 1TB drive, so i could purchase another drive and set up a raid system to store my data.. It would be nice if you continue with the giveaway .. :)

Thanks ..:D

----

Also does anyone know any good & cheap data recovery places to get my data from my failed drive?.. the Platter basicly.. :( .. 1 was giving a clicking sound before it died off.. and would come on for little while.. After that i started using the other 320GB and copied some other date . It occassionly would shut off during copying items and wouldnt show on startup. Now doesnt show at all. The other hard drives attached to the computer seem to be running fine.. :S

Drobos & NAS are nice..but seem way too expensive. Like 400$+ For a proper setup. I think that hard drive manufacturers like Seagate have lost their charm since most of their new drives fail quite quickly. Im still using 40GB IDE's and they seem to be working fine (knock on wood). These days when people are so dependent on computers and their data, manufacturers should make quite more reliable drives available cheaper to the people. These consumer drives may be cheap, but aren't really good. What's the point of "warranty" if you can just get the drive replaced, and not the data recovered.. its as good as a "No compensation" situation that way. To make drives more reliable along with being fast, they have introduced SSD's .. but i read around somewhere that even SSD's health diminish quickly. There were a couple of softwares to keep a check on health of SSD's and the health would be decreased by 10-20% in a matter of months. That doesn't seem like much development (other than the blazing speed). :S

Edited by ryandigweed

@ryandigweed,

Always have a backup! Storage is cheap these days!

Get drives that have a 5-year warranty so as long as the drive is worth anything, you can get it replaced for free.

But always have a backup, simple stuff.

SSDs are very reliable, I have written more than 4,500 Gigabytes to my SSD so far, going strong. But, always have a backup because things do fail, sometimes without warning!

Your going to be paying a lot to have your data recovered at a 'data recovery' place, so maybe try buying new circuit boards for the drives and swapping the circuit boards with known good ones, that may fix your problem but probably not.

Thanks .. ok so seagate is good enough?.. because western digital black editions are almost double the price of a normal seagate.

The circuit board thing wont work i guess, since there was a clickity sound on one.. SSD are expensive to store large ammounts of data..

If i buy new drives, ill set them up in a Raid 1 system.. :)

BACk up or RAID ?.. and please count me in for a 1TB RE3 drive.. i need one !.. desperately !..

Edited by ryandigweed