Dr. M

WD Blue vs Green vs Green on SATA150

I know I've been over-thinking this, but here's where I stand:

My system is older, and only has SATAI 1.5gb/s connections.

I was originally planning on a WD Blue WD10EALX for speed/price/performance.

I then read a few comments that it was on the noisy side and started wondering about the Green drives.

They appear great for noise levels, capacity and price.

The WD15EARS is only $5 more than the WD10EALX for 50% more capacity (but obviously slower).

The WD15EARX is another $15 providing SATAIII instead of SATAII.

So my questions are:

Is there any noticeable performance difference between the WD15EARS or WD15EARX (normally)?

(Or in fact any other differences between the EARS and EARX besides the flavor of SATA?)

Will there be any performance difference between ANY of these three drives if I'm running them at 1.5gb/s anyway?

My last hard drive purchase was a SATAII, but reviews said it really never exceed SATAI data transfer rates.

I really suspect that these drives would all saturate SATAI and performance would make no difference.

SATAII and SATAIII different will be minor

moreover if you using the drive on SATAI

and AFAIK no differences beside SATA rate ... same drives

speaking noise... what rpm your drive before ?

it depends on the person, i don't think 7200rpm drive noisy, indeed it making noise but then there case fans and most people will use speaker while using pc

so its not really an issue for me

SATA2vsSATA3 = not much improvement

5400rpm vs 7200rpm = if OS drive, you will seeing some improvement... not much if storage use

SATAII and SATAIII different will be minor

moreover if you using the drive on SATAI

and AFAIK no differences beside SATA rate ... same drives

speaking noise... what rpm your drive before ?

it depends on the person, i don't think 7200rpm drive noisy, indeed it making noise but then there case fans and most people will use speaker while using pc

so its not really an issue for me

SATA2vsSATA3 = not much improvement

5400rpm vs 7200rpm = if OS drive, you will seeing some improvement... not much if storage use

Thank you. My system will probably be on the drive and my current c:\ is 7200rpm.

I'm more curious if even the Green drives would saturate a SATAI interface, or are there other considerations that still make 7200rpm faster.

frankly i rarely test hdd test, maybe when i get new drive i test with hdtune/crystaldiskmark

to make sure the newer drive perform as good (if not better) than last drive of same series

for me, top priority is reliability, then performance

thats why for internal drive, i mostly use caviar black (raid user need to concern about TLER though)

well maybe i should get enterprise series

but somehow its kinda rare in my local pc-shop, plus imo its not worthed more $ especially for non-RAID user

caviar-black already give 5 year warranty same like their enterprise counterpart

i never open to check the inner, but it wouldn't weird if we might see same inner between black and enterprise series

from what i read, WD enterprise drive different only on their firmware

so i translating :

green - low cost

blue - performance

black - enthusiast

about whether drive saturate sata1 interface, i dunno

but imho if OS with i think you will still get benefit from 7200rpm drive

as it should give you better IOPS, especially if you multitasking

at SATA 300:

WD15EARS

hdparm -t /dev/sdh

/dev/sdh:

Timing buffered disk reads: 366 MB in 3.01 seconds = 121.67 MB/sec

WD15EARX

hdparm -t /dev/sdh

/dev/sdh:

Timing buffered disk reads: 252 MB in 3.02 seconds = 83.32 MB/sec

:(

Edited by trx

I never mentioned, but I did end up buying the WD10EALX (Blue).

Usually I get the better tiers when I buy HDD's but I was looking to save a bit this time around.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that even though it is SATA3 drive on a SATA1 controller, a speed test showed it to have double the performance (on all tests) of my previous C: drive (a Hitachi T7K500 (which had just come out when I had bought it)).

I had assumed the Hitachi, being a SATA2, was already saturating the SATA channel. I guess I was wrong.

Edited by Dr. M

I had assumed the Hitachi, being a SATA2, was already saturating the SATA channel. I guess I was wrong.
Yep. :) Traditionally (at least in the relevant ATA/33, ATA/66, ATA/100, SATA 1.5Gbps, etc. days) for a then-current harddisk, the harddisk interface was rarely, if ever, a performance limitation except maybe in specific burst-from-cache scenarios.