Sign in to follow this  
MediArchive

New Western Digital Models for Review

Ran across some new Western Digital models that perhaps could be incorporated into future benchmarks and comparisons:

WD30EZRX - a SATA 6 Gbps implementation of the old WD30EZRSDTL that was shipping with the host adapter. Probably still a 4 platter (750 gig/platter) drive with a new interface. NewEgg.com has an e-mail special of the WD30EZRSDTL for $129.99 right now BTW. The green 2.5 TB, 2.0 TB, and 1.5 TB also now come in models with the SATA 6 Gbps interface. The blacks switched over earlier and it appears there are a couple blue models too with the new interface.

No change over for any of the RE series as far as I can see. Still waiting for a 3 platter 2 TB black or RE4 drive or a 3TB black or RE4 drive.

Samsung seemed poised to release their 3-platter 3 TB drive but who knows what's going on with that now. Wonder if Seagate is going to take the technology and release a drive under their brand first now that they acquired Samsung. Too bad if that is the case.

I will shoot our contact an email to find out if we can get one of the newer models to see whats changed.

Here is a review on the new WD30EZRX (3TB Green with 6.0 Gbps controller). They claim the spindle speed was increased 11% over the original 3TB green. They further go on to state that later revisions of the original 3TB green also received the increased spindle speed. Is Western Digital building 5900 RPM green drives to compete with Seagate?

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=730&pgno=0

Well we all know the WD Green drives run at 5200RPM. That would be cool if the speed was increased to 5900RPM, although honestly I like how cool their green drives run. Hope they keep the idle power usage at 5.5 watts or less..

That review I referenced shows the drives are running hotter than the original 3 TB green drives and using more power. I've been thinking about it and I think I would prefer the original design that runs cooler and uses less power, even if it is slower. Still looking for the Samsung EcoGreen 3 TB based on 3 1-TB platters. Hoping it didn't get canceled after the acquisition.