Mech0z

Is Vertex 3 Max IO better than normal Vertex 3 for normal use?

I have ordered a Vertex 3 MAX IO (Which is in backorder), I will soon get a Thinkpad W520 and my Vertex 1 60GB needs to retire for something bigger and faster.

The thing is a Vertex 3 MAX IO is cheaper than a normal Vertex 3 here in Denmark, but I guess thats due to a big demand for the normal disk and stores not being able to keep them in stock.

But is there anything bad that would make you not recommend it for a normal system drive (For light gaming and programming)?

No, it should be a solid drive. How much better or different from the regular Vertex 3 remains to be seen...we're waiting for a review unit still.

No, it should be a solid drive. How much better or different from the regular Vertex 3 remains to be seen...we're waiting for a review unit still.

Should I cancel my Max iops and buy a Crucial M4 instead? From what I can hear the M4 might be better in random which is what I need for OS drive right? The M4 is in stock and 1750dkk vs Max IO 2050dkk in price

Edited by Mech0z

I'd feel good about the decision...we're about to post our m4 review finally, maybe today. I think you'll see better overall performance out of the V3. The best case for the m4 is an economic one. If you've already bought the V3 that tells me the $$$s aren't a huge deal ;)

In fact, you should buy the regular V3 too and compare the two for us ;)

I'd feel good about the decision...we're about to post our m4 review finally, maybe today. I think you'll see better overall performance out of the V3. The best case for the m4 is an economic one. If you've already bought the V3 that tells me the $$$s aren't a huge deal ;)

In fact, you should buy the regular V3 too and compare the two for us ;)

Nah I am not rich by any means and as I wrote the price difference is not that big

The M4 is in stock and 1750dkk vs Max IO 2050dkk in price
so 15% difference, but if you think I get better performance from the M4 then I will get that, the Vertex 3 Max IOPS I ordered is in backorder (The shop dont know when they will get it) while the M4 is at a local store ready to be bought, but I am willing to wait if it gives me better performance/value.

Bonus info The Vertex 3 normal is more expensive than MAX IOPS version atm in Denmark..

Yeah, the Max IOPS has been cheaper here too in some cases, kind of an odd blip in pricing. Physically, I assume the drives are identical.

Really then you may be dealing with a timing issue, the m4 now or the V3 some day...the m4 is by no means a bad drive, it's just not as fast as the V3 in terms of total performance.

Yeah, the Max IOPS has been cheaper here too in some cases, kind of an odd blip in pricing. Physically, I assume the drives are identical.

Really then you may be dealing with a timing issue, the m4 now or the V3 some day...the m4 is by no means a bad drive, it's just not as fast as the V3 in terms of total performance.

The thing I am most worried about is if the performacne of the 128GB vs 120GB as the normal Vertex 3 120GB apparently could choke in heavy testing (While the 240GB almost lost no performance) according to the Anandtech review. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4316/ocz-vertex-3-240gb-review/9

Btw the MAX IOPS uses some other NAND from what I can understand.

Edited by Mech0z

The thing I am most worried about is if the performacne of the 128GB vs 120GB as the normal Vertex 3 120GB apparently could choke in heavy testing (While the 240GB almost lost no performance) according to the Anandtech review. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4316/ocz-vertex-3-240gb-review/9

Btw the MAX IOPS uses some other NAND from what I can understand.

Well, if I were you, I get reliable drive, not a OCZ, and be careful what you read on anandtech about OCZ, I have a funny feeling about the reviews about OCZ drivers there.

Anandtech and OCZ have a very close relationship, they are the one to be the first to get OCZ new drivers for reviews, and always telling nice things about then, even tho they are fail after few weeks of use.

I used to read they review, not anymore.

I read the one here now :)

MAX IOPS?, how about MAX Windows reinstalls!!!

Edited by Elvismen

Well, if I were you, I get reliable drive, not a OCZ, and be careful what you read on anandtech about OCZ, I have a funny feeling about the reviews about OCZ drivers there.

Anandtech and OCZ have a very close relationship, they are the one to be the first to get OCZ new drivers for reviews, and always telling nice things about then, even tho they are fail after few weeks of use.

I used to read they review, not anymore.

I read the one here now :)

MAX IOPS?, how about MAX Windows reinstalls!!!

Anand is arguably one of the most credible reviewer out there. I disagree with your statement above.

Anand is arguably one of the most credible reviewer out there. I disagree with your statement above.

Anandtech "CAN" be a reliable source of info. but they have had times when they get hand picked hardware that performs substantially different than what is available in retail. They also get BIOS that alter's performance and/or reliability but are not available to consumers. They have also treaded lightly on the issues with OCZ's SSD drives. They have been called out for this in some of their reviews.

I have no stake in any website, review or hardware brand but I want accurate, reliable performance and durability data on hardware I am considering purchasing. Many times this is not the case at websites who do not want to bite the hand that feeds them.

Edited by Beenthere

Anand "CAN" be a reliable source of info. but they have had times when they get hand picked hardware that performs substantially different than what is available in retail. They also get BIOS that alter's performance and/or reliability but are not available to consumers. They have also treaded lightly on the issues with OCZ's SSD drives. They have been called out for this in some of their reviews.

I have no stake in any website, review or hardware brand but I want accurate, reliable performance and durability data on hardware I am considering purchasing. Many times this is not the case at websites who do not want to bite the hand that feeds them.

I second all of what you said above. Friends again.

Anandtech "CAN" be a reliable source of info. but they have had times when they get hand picked hardware that performs substantially different than what is available in retail. They also get BIOS that alter's performance and/or reliability but are not available to consumers. They have also treaded lightly on the issues with OCZ's SSD drives. They have been called out for this in some of their reviews.

Thanks Beenthere!

That's what I was trying to said!!

Anand used to be reliable.

Well, "durability" or "reliability" is sort of a hard thing to measure. Even the biggest tech sites can't review enough of one model of drive over a long enough period of time to get a good sample. :)

Well, "durability" or "reliability" is sort of a hard thing to measure. Even the biggest tech sites can't review enough of one model of drive over a long enough period of time to get a good sample. :)

I would not expect any review site to be able to conduct durability testing per se but I'd definitely expect them to report when they get a bad test piece and to show interest in further research when a significant number of their readership reports failure issues on specific hardware. Ignoring the reports or pretending there is no significant issue is disengenuous to me. Lost data due to a hardware defect may not be a big issue for someone playing games but it can be a disaster for a business person.

Anandtech has additional info. on the Vertex 3 BSOD issues. OCZ has issued firmware V2.09 to be used only by folks having issues. Timing seems to be the issue but this has not been 100% confirmed. Some folks using V2.09 firmware are showing drastic reduction in performance so all is not well yet.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4341/ocz-vertex-3-max-iops-patriot-wildfire-ssds-reviewed

Anandtech has additional info. on the Vertex 3 BSOD issues. OCZ has issued firmware V2.09 to be used only by folks having issues. Timing seems to be the issue but this has not been 100% confirmed. Some folks using V2.09 firmware are showing drastic reduction in performance so all is not well yet.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4341/ocz-vertex-3-max-iops-patriot-wildfire-ssds-reviewed

Beenthere I think the problem is not firmware, the problem is with the hardware, those SF controller are too good to be true, they will never fix those problems.

Beenthere I think the problem is not firmware, the problem is with the hardware, those SF controller are too good to be true, they will never fix those problems.

I'm just the messenger... :rolleyes:

Time will tell if the issues can be resolved. All I know is that I want reliable SSDs not "almost" reliable. :(

Well, the problems seem to be related to the sata controller, the chipset and various power-saving features.

I havent seen much problems reported for the pci-e revos, so i dont think all is SF fault.

Case in point:

Google "life throttling" +Sandforce

e.g.:

I repeat:

What happens if these SandForce SSDs start throttling

before expiration of the factory warranties?

MRFS