Sign in to follow this  
lovecomplex

16port pci-e x16 Controller Card?

Hey, I've been hunting and hunting and just can't seem to find the card I'm looking for. Has anyone ever ran across a pci-e x16 16-port (4 SAS ports) controller card (not raid) before?

I got the Highpoint RR2744 thinking it would fit the bill, as it's marked as a "Controller Card" but no such luck. What I'm really looking for is direct access from the OS to the harddrives, so I can query the drives and check SMART stats and whatnot, but all I can seem to find is pci-e x8 card for some reason.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Joren

Why are you hell-bent on a 16x slot? 8x is far more bandwidth then 16 drives will produce. Even if you had 16 x god SSDs, you will probably run into further issues down the I/O path.

LSI MegaRAID 9201-16i SAS HBA

ATTO ExpressSAS H60F SAS 2.0 Controller

Edited by amdoverclocker

From reading (albeit on wikipedia) it sounded like pci-e x16 wouldn't even be enough to keep up with 16x6GB/s ports. Also the fact that the motherboard it's going into is only pci-e 1.0. Maybe my math was wrong though.

After some more research, I did find an LSI pci-e x16 with 16 external ports, but with a different port type (which would take much more expensive cables.) I think we will indeed just end up going with an x8 card unless I can somehow manage to get the rr2744 to act as an HBA.

Thanks for your response in any case.

-Joren

If you really think the controller card is capable of this kind of throughput, then yes you'll need a PCIe 2.0 x16 (16 times 4Gbps) card to get anywhere close to the full 16-channel 6Gbps SAS. I'd be impressed if you could actually get such BW from one - that's 8 GB/sec. I've had a hard time getting > 1GB/sec from pretty high-end RAID cards lately.