Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian

Seagate First to Announce 1TB Hard Drive Platters Discussion

9 posts in this topic

Seagate has announced plans to update their Barracuda XT 3TB line of hard drives with three 1TB platters (625 Gigabits per square inch), replacing the current build of five 600GB platters. Seagate’s line of GoFlex Desktop external hard drives will be the first to feature the new platter configuration. GoFlex products are being refreshed soon to feature the three-platter Barracuda XT. Bare drives are expected to be available in the middle of this year.

Full Story

I said middle of the year - you want something more specific ;)

I wish we had a date - Seagate likes to pre-announce, whereas WD usually only announces when something is shipping. So I don't have any inside intel on this one.

Haha, nice wording: "Seagate First to Announce..." When have they not been the first to announce? ;)

No, seriously, although some of their announced products have taken an eternity to finally reach the market, it's certainly good to see this announcement. Amazing how they made that much progress, again!

I'd suppose the new drives would be 5400 or 5900 rpm, though. It totally doesn't make sense to run the capacity flagship at 7200 rpm and not offer the lower spinning varieties as well. And if they've got the 1 TB platters they might just as well go straight for 4 and 5 TB drives :)

MrS

Seagate has announced plans to update their Barracuda XT 3TB line of hard drives with three 1TB platters (625 Gigabits per square inch), replacing the current build of five 600GB platters. Seagate’s line of GoFlex Desktop external hard drives will be the first to feature the new platter configuration. GoFlex products are being refreshed soon to feature the three-platter Barracuda XT. Bare drives are expected to be available in the middle of this year.

Full Story

How are they first to announce when Samsung already announced 1TB platters before them?

SpinPoint EcoGreen F6 (5400RPM, 32MB cache, SATA-600 interface)

???? 1TB (1/2)

HN-D201RAE 2TB (2/4)

1TB per platter looks like a silent/low noise 2TB champ of course no one has it in stock but it should be out soon (Summer 2011?). And apparently they will make a 1 platter 1TB version as well but the model number is still unknown and probably won't be out for a month or two after the 2 platter version. Just hope that both come out in quantity before the merger/acquisition. Who knows, maybe the 1TB platter tech was the final push for seagate to buy them.

http://www.techweet.com/video/cebit-2011-samsung-spinpoint-f6-ecogreen-2tb-with-two-platters-1080p-hd

Just google "HN-D201RAE" and look at all the news articles about it from two months ago.

Or is this just Seagate saying that since they are buying Samsung they'll be the ones to slap their name on the new 1TB platters?

Edited by dhanson865

Samsung didn't promote that release in the US and when we questioned their PR people about it, we got nothing in reply. But yeah, we get your point...Seagate will be first to market however.

I'm just wondering what the lag will be for their nearline line-up-- I'd rather not buy a 5-platter Constellation ES.2 if I could help it...

The 1TB/platter 7200RPM drives coming out ... wonder how they will do against the mighty Caviar Black 2TB with operations per second.

Samsung also announced their 2.5" Spinpoint M8 drives with 500GB platters, wonder when they will reach the market now.