Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shirschb2

SSD upgrade help needed

11 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone you can help me ???

Here is my situation....recently I was given a 128 GIG 1.8 solid state Samsung hard drive...it came from a brand new Lenovo T 510 laptop that was purchased by a friend of mine, he got a great deal on the laptop but needed a much larger drive the drive

the drive is a MMCRE28G8MXP-OVB...WITH FIRMWARE VBM1EL1Q (this drive does not support trim) ...it is in a micro sata converter to sata and I have it installed in my Windows 7 machine which is a Dell Precision T-3400 workstation (3GHZ Core2Duo with 8 GIGS of ram)

This drive replaces a 300gig WD Velociraptor the SSD has been in my machine for about 2 months now and is better than the Raptor but not mind blowing...I did create a ghosted image of the in case of failure and the image is updated weekly

My question is...do you think if I buy a "better-newer faster" drive from say Crucial or OZ I would see a performance gain ???.....also I would be getting TRIM support

Should I be concerned about the whole SATA II vs SATA III thing because that means a new motherboard or can recommend a good SATA III controller card that actually works ??

Also if I decide to go with a different drive can I use my ghosted image to restore it so I don't have to re-install everything again....because I gotta tell you this machine is set-up EXACTLY the way I want it....it is dam near perfect ???

Thanks in advance for your hel....Stu

With the right hardware, the performance of the new breed of SATA 6Gb/s SSDs will blow that old Samsung away. I'd even venture to say a modern performance SSD that's cut back to SATA 3Gb/s would also show noticeable gain. LSI makes a good card - but if you're thinking of going that route, I'd strongly consider going with a new mobo. Sounds like you don't want to go through the trouble of starting over though...just comes down to how badly you want the increased performance from a new SSD.

With the right hardware, the performance of the new breed of SATA 6Gb/s SSDs will blow that old Samsung away. I'd even venture to say a modern performance SSD that's cut back to SATA 3Gb/s would also show noticeable gain. LSI makes a good card - but if you're thinking of going that route, I'd strongly consider going with a new mobo. Sounds like you don't want to go through the trouble of starting over though...just comes down to how badly you want the increased performance from a new SSD.

Hi Brian,

This is going in to a Dell Precision Workstation which uses a proprietary motherboard and i really do want the faster speeds do you think a new controller card and a new drive are the way to go ??

can you recommend a card and drive ???

What about using my ghosted image ??

thanks in advance.....shkj

would it be ok to sent you a private message ???

Do you have an open 4x PCI-e slot? The LSI 9211 is an excellent option if you don't need RAID caching capabilities. In terms of drives, there are quite a few 6Gb/s options out there were it really comes down to brand preference. Intel, Micron/Crucial, OCZ, OWC... all have great drives out right now. What did you want to spend?

Yes, you can usually use a ghosted image, depends on the software I suppose. I've used Acronis for cloning a good deal, works like a champ.

Yes, you can usually use a ghosted image, depends on the software I suppose. I've used Acronis for cloning a good deal, works like a champ.

Hi Brian,

Here is my thoughts I want to replace my current Samsung drive with something that is going to give

me a noticable speed increase...I want to replace it with a 128 meg drive (as everything I need

is installed and I have approx 70 gig left)

I really don't want to repace the machine as of yet it is only 3 yrs and is a 3 gig quad core machine

I WANT TO SPEND ABOUT $200-$300 ON THE DRIVE

AS FOR THE CONTROLLER CARD FOR 6GB SATAIII...that is going to have to wait for now

As for the drive I will still buy a SATA III drive and let it run at SATA II

I'd be thinking pretty hard about the C300. With the new firmware, stuttering issues seem to have gotten better or been generally resolved, though it may be a bit early to call it. Oh, and in the deals forum I posted an awesome deal on the Intel SSD 510 - $250 for the 120GB version, can't beat that. You can spend $300 on the OCZ or OWC models, but really, until you go all out on the SATA 6Gb/s effort, I'd take something a little less costly.

I'd be thinking pretty hard about the C300. With the new firmware, stuttering issues seem to have gotten better or been generally resolved, though it may be a bit early to call it. Oh, and in the deals forum I posted an awesome deal on the Intel SSD 510 - $250 for the 120GB version, can't beat that. You can spend $300 on the OCZ or OWC models, but really, until you go all out on the SATA 6Gb/s effort, I'd take something a little less costly.

Hi Brian

If I go with either the C300 128 gig or the 120 gig intel am i going to see a significant performance from my current SSD drive ???

Also i was thinking about the C300 128 gig what is this "stuttering" issue about ???

As far as the SATA 6Gb/s effort what do you recommend without spend alot on a controller card ??...(they are soooo expensive !!!!)

Can I run either one of these drives directly off my motherboard in SATA 3Gb/s ??

thanks...shkj

SATA is backward-compatible, so both the Intel 510 & Crucial C300 will run just fine on your 3Gbps SATA connection. They'll just be limited in maximum performance. Between them, the Intel has a performance edge, so I'd go with that.

SATA is backward-compatible, so both the Intel 510 & Crucial C300 will run just fine on your 3Gbps SATA connection. They'll just be limited in maximum performance. Between them, the Intel has a performance edge, so I'd go with that.

Hey Denmbe,

Thanks for the help !!

Like I said earlier this is a 3yr old Quad core 3GHZ machine I need to hold

on to for about 2 more years while it is not an I5 or an I7 it does do every thing

I need but I want some more "responsivneess...it's kinda laggy even with the Samsung SSD

it good but not mind blowing...wtith that being said

what is the best SSD for this machine that is significantly better than what I have ???

also what is the best way to get to the 6GBG/s without spending and arm and a leg or a new

motherboard ??

how much of a difference is there between 3gb/s & 6 ???

thanks in advance...shkj

For the SATA 3Gbps connection you've currently got, a number of SSDs can max it out. The best overall performance in SSDs are ones using the 2nd generation Sandforce controller, but over your connection, you're not going to notice any difference between those and the 2nd place Intel 510 series since the performance differences are not significant unless you're using SATA 6Gbps. And if you can get the Intel 510 series 128GB SSD for $250, I'd jump on it.

Based on some benchmarks I found for your SSD model, the Intel 510 should be roughly twice as fast for most applications, which is as fast as you're going to get without getting a SATA 6Gbps controller. In SATA 6Gbps mode, Brian's review shows that the Intel 510 series SSD gets between 50-100% faster transfer rates in real-world applications compared to the same drive in SATA 3Gbps mode, so the difference is significant.

As far as what controller to get, I haven't done the research on that, so I defer to Brian & his recommendations.