Sign in to follow this  
alloneword

Normally huge WD fan but ...........

Hi everybody, as my heading says i'm a huge fan of WD, right now i have 5 x1TB black drives and have no issues what so ever but i have invested in 2 x 2TB (WD20EARS) however i didn't do my reasearch this time and got burnt IMO, there just seems to many problems for my liking all this business with parking times and LCC counts etc, not to mention the new AF (but i know alot of drives are going that way), so i'm returning them for a refund and looking for a nother brand that does 2TB drives.

These drives will be used for storage (audio files on one and video files on the other) I will be playing both the audio and video files directly off the drives themselves, but the drives will never be booted from neither will they be cloned from or too.

I'm working on the basis of 5400rpm is fine for my needs and 32mb cache will be fine also SATA 3 is not needed as SATA 2 would be good enough, it has been suggested to me i go for the "Samsung HD204UI/Z4 2000GB Spinpoint F4" (Manf code is HD204UI/Z4), like most people i have been through a few manf in my time and WD has always served me well I have read somewhere that either Sansung or Seagate had an issue with some firmware of late but i never took too much notice at the time (Doh!).

Reliability is a major factor for me so i don't mind paying a bit more to get a better quality drive having said that i can't afford the 2TB Black drive, so what do you suggest guys, i'll be using XP Pro SP3 32bit for the next month or so then moving over to Win7 Ultimate 64bit and a 3yr warranty would be nice as well.

All1

I really enjoy the F4EG - great price too.

The Seagate Barracuda Greens also did well for us.

On the WD, what issues are you seeing? Have you messed with WDIDLE?

I really enjoy the F4EG - great price too.

The Seagate Barracuda Greens also did well for us.

On the WD, what issues are you seeing? Have you messed with WDIDLE?

Hi Brian thanks for the reply, well to be honest i got lazy, i knew about the "AF" and that didn't bother me much as i was moving to 7 soon but once i got the drives and started to read about the LCC issue, it seems WD dropped the ball big time IMO, I haven't even powered them up yet WD have told me there is no issue with the 8 sec parking yet it would seem clear there is, i just don't fancy the possibility of loosing 4TB worth of data, so i won't take any chances. Have you heard of any drives (Samsung or Seagate) having firmware issues and needing a fix via firmware update, i'm not sure who the manf was but i know it began with an S?

All1

Have you heard of any drives (Samsung or Seagate) having firmware issues and needing a fix via firmware update, i'm not sure who the manf was but i know it began with an S?

All1

The 1.5TB drives? Those were Seagate.

Have you thought of Hitachi HDD for storage.

I must say i'm a fan of Hitachi for storage also Samsung's are good too.

The F4 2TB Eco drives have a 4k sector but I think they have software on the circuit board that alows the computer to use the drive as a normal (Older) drive the (Samsung HD204UI 2TB Spinpoint F4 uses (512 emulation).

Also i have read on Samsung HDD web site, a problem with the F4's...

If identify commmand is issued from host during NCQ write command in the condition of PC ,

write condition is unstable.

So It can make the loss of written data.

(Model : F4EG HD204UI, HD204UI/Z4, HD204UI/UZ4, HD155UI, HD155UI/Z4, HD155UI/UZ4)

To improve this problem, Please use the attached DOS model patch tool.

On their site.

But I have a F3 2TB eco drive and has never let me down.

It's in my Qnap and it's on 24/7 with a Hitachi too.

Hope this helps

I've always had reputation for WD as the best, but whenever I see another brand bettering it, I have no hesitation and go with them. I am very pleased with my Samsung spinpoint-F3 1T drives. They smoke my WD1002FAEX (got it from an 750GB model RMA) and they were notably cheaper than it as well.

As for reliability, without internal data from the manufacturer I can't rely on what people are saying very much, unless there is a model with known serious issues. Thought it is true that I've been over-reliant on HDD reliability and when an 750GB WD RE2 hard drive failed, I suffered important data loss and since then I don't rely on any drives reliability, but keep a RAID-1 array for my critical data. All the rest are either in RAID-0 or stand alone drives, depending on their need for speed