Sign in to follow this  
Djembe

New leaked Intel SSD roadmap

Now I know that Brian & company are under non-disclosure agreements and probably can't comment about this, but the rest of us can. :D

According to Engadget, Intel plans to ship out a bunch more SSDs this year. The high-capacity 320 series should be out at around the same time as the new enterprise-focused Lyndonville and perhaps a new SLC enterprise SSD may be coming out after that. Also in the July-September timeframe, they're expecting to release an SSD that will work as a cache with hard drives to create a hybrid storage system similar to Seagate's Momentus XT, except compatible with (presumably) any hard drive. And around Christmastime, the roadmap predicts a successor to the 510 series. Perhaps this one will have an Intel controller? We can only wait and see.

The leaked roadmap looks like this:

20110427-22374883--intelssdroadmap.jpg

I think it's interesting that the upcoming Lyndonville enterprise drive is using the SATA II spec instead of SATA III. I wonder what the rationale for that is.

Well there's also 720-series which will be 6Gbps. I wonder if it's for legacy reasons?

I wonder if I can keep my X25-M G2 through to Q4 of this year...

Well there's also 720-series which will be 6Gbps. I wonder if it's for legacy reasons?

I wonder if I can keep my X25-M G2 through to Q4 of this year...

Didnt the X25E use a similar controller to the X25M? Maybe they wanted to do the 320 treatment for it before moving onto a new controller design.

That may be. It's also interesting that they're planning to make the 720 a PCI express SSD, which allows them to compete in other market segments. The use of SLC in the 720 marks it as enterprise-centric, which differentiates it from other PCIe SSDs currently available. I wonder if Intel has done some research that indicates a movement toward PCIe storage and away from more traditional SATA or SAS connections.