Sign in to follow this  
Brian

OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS SSD Discussion

OCZ has released and is now shipping a Max IOPS version of their popular Vertex 3 SSD. The drives increase random write performance of the original Vertex 3, ideal for applications where increased IO throughput is critical. The OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS SSDs leverage the SandForce SF-2200 series processors to deliver 4K random write performance with up to 75,000 IOPS compared to 60,000 IOPS for the standard Vertex 3.

Full Story

The Amazon prices for the Max IOPS are less than the NewEgg prices for the standard drives right now. Amazon is showing a little while for delivery though - I bet that changes soon. Anyway, these are really targeted to a specific audience, I wouldn't get too worked up about price.

The Amazon prices for the Max IOPS are less than the NewEgg prices for the standard drives right now. Amazon is showing a little while for delivery though - I bet that changes soon. Anyway, these are really targeted to a specific audience, I wouldn't get too worked up about price.

I am planning to purchase the OCZ Vertex 3 120 Gb SSD drive sometime during the next week and was wondering which of these two Vertex 3 models I should purchase. I want to maximize performance and the Max IOPS model is currently about the same price as the standard version on Amazon. So is there any reason not to go with the Max IOPS drive? Stated in other words, is there anything that the Max IOPS model does worse than the standard Vertex 3 SSD model? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Not that we know of - but OCZ hasn't sent us one to test yet though. The only negative I could think of is *possibly* higher power consumption. But as you say, prices being about equal, I'd go Max IOPS at this point.