Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kevin OBrien

Samsung Spinpoint MT2 1TB Review (HM100UI) Discussion

4 posts in this topic

Up until now, if a drive had 1TB or more of capacity it was automatically assumed to be a desktop drive. Not anymore – the Samsung MT2 1TB is a 2.5-inch, 12.5mm height hard drive for use in external enclosures and notebook computers. Check out our review to see the upsides and downsides of this particular drive..

Read Full Review

The only other 12.5mm drive we had on hand was a 1TB Scorpio Blue from a WD TV, although it was a non-consumer version so hard to put against it. I can put that drive through the paces though to see how it stacks up unofficially if you want ;)

Thanks for the review Kevin, and yes I'd also be interested in comparisons with other 1Gb 2.5" drives, especially as these will be like-to-like in terms of rpm.

The only other ones I know of are Toshiba MK1059GSM and Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD10TEVT / TPVT

As this will be a second storage drive for me, I'm less bothered about performance, more about noise/vibration, power efficiency and reliability. In your view, is the M2 OK on these counts?

cheers :)