Sign in to follow this  
oceanblue1

SSD Noob

Hi, looking to buy a SSD as the OS drive but am so confused as to what to get.

At the moment, I have only an Asus P5Q-E MB which obviously cannot take advantage of the new generation of OCZ Vertex 3.

However, reading all the stuff about the Vertex 2E's 25nm NAND have put me off. Not only is there less space but people seem to be saying that it would be less reliable / shorter working life. So, I am kinda wondering:

1. Does OCZ still have the program where they will swap the 25nm drive for the 32nm for free? Does this free upgrade apply to the UK or just the US?

2. Somebody on another forum recommend to get the Crucial F60 as a safe bet that it would be 32nm and said that it is virtually identical to Vertex 2. True or not?

3. I am not that worried about losing a few GB of space. Is the 25nm NAND really that much worse in terms of reliability and shelf life? Aren't SSD inherently more reliable than mechanical hard drive anyway?

Sorry, so many noob questions. Hope somebody can help.

1) I presume they do, but it's not a swap of all 25nm drives, it's just the early gen ones that had performance problems.

2) Largely true, same processor same NAND configuration. There are probably 6-10 brands that make nearly identical SSDs based on SandForce processors.

3) 25nm offers fewer write cycles, but the thing is, consumers don't use as many write cycles as they thought they would when SSDs first came out. 25nm is not a problem in terms of reliability or longevity. All drives in the next year will be based on 25nm or soon, 20nm and smaller. Yes, much more reliable than HDDs.

Basically I totally understand why you'd be hesitant on the Vertex 2. I'd buy the Corsair F series, Patriot Inferno or OWC (if they sell in UK). They all offer more or less identical drives.

Regarding reliability in real-world terms, according to the only study I know of that has compared them, most consumer SSDs are not significantly more reliable than hard drives but just fail in different ways. Intel SSDs were the only brand in the study that had significantly better reliability than hard drives.

Obviously, having only one study limits the applicability of the results, but they're useful for comparison and consideration. We shall see in future studies if continually advancing technology makes SSDs more reliable or not.