Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Seagate Acquires Samsung Hard Drive Storage

Seagate and Samsung are calling it a "Broad Strategic Alignment" but it more common terms, Samsung has more or less sold off their hard drive storage division to Seagate. The deal was rumored over the weekend by the Wall Street Journal, now it's official. As part of the deal Samsung will combine its hard drive operations with Seagate and will supply Seagate with NAND for Seagate's enterprise SSDs and hybrid hard drives and other products. Interestingly, the deal comes barely a month after Western Digital agreed to purchase Hitachi.

Full Story

Not terribly surprising. The industry has been looking to consolidate for a while now. With Toshiba buying out Fujitsu's drive division and WD announcing a buyout for HGST, the only suitors left for Seagate would be Samsung.

I suspect Samsung's reasons for selling off their HDD division are similar to Hitachi divesting themselves of HGST.

With all the consolidation, it's actually not a good time to work in the industry. Many will be losing their jobs. :( Consumers aren't going to be winners, either, though the industry will be stronger for it.

Toshiba is an interesting case...with 10-14% of the market, I wonder how long they can keep going.

This, together with the WD/Hitachi buyout, marks the end of the storage industry as we know it.

Toshiba doesn't count - it doesn't have much market share, and what share it does have is in a circumscribed section - so that leaves just two: Seagate and WD. Two vendors is not a market.

God I'm going to miss Samsung drives! I'm going to need an extra layer of backup now - i.e., enough storage to keep four copies of everything vital, and three copies of the lower-priority stuff.

This, together with the WD/Hitachi buyout, marks the end of the storage industry as we know it.

Toshiba doesn't count - it doesn't have much market share, and what share it does have is in a circumscribed section - so that leaves just two: Seagate and WD. Two vendors is not a market.

God I'm going to miss Samsung drives! I'm going to need an extra layer of backup now - i.e., enough storage to keep four copies of everything vital, and three copies of the lower-priority stuff.

20nm SSD's of equal durability and reliability of 34nm, are due out by next year Tannin, with supposed savings of up to 50% on capacity...so, if you can afford $5k Canon lenses & bodies, you should be able to afford same amount for ungodly fast TB's of SATA 6Gbps SSD's...don't forget to pickup a wide-screen anti-glare/matte finish HD res. MacBook Pro with built in SATA 6G bus + that Thunderbolt I/O you know Canon will adopt soon :P

Man, Merc must be mopping like some really sad dog now :)

abit OOT but i wonder, isn't that trouble-some keeping copies over many drives ?

mind telling me, how do you manage your files ?

are those drives online 24/7 or have using some kind of software to do backup automatically?

i am also making multiple copies, but not that much

only 1 copies over RAID1 for imporant files, unimportant stuff just copy to external drive (so its more like clone)

and important without data.sensitive files goes to online storage