Sign in to follow this  
Djembe

How NOT to use IO Meter

I was trying to benchmark the existing hard drive in my netbook and among other things, I thought I'd use IO Meter. So I downloaded and installed it, but when it started up, it didn't look anything like other benchmarking programs. I had to choose the test I wanted to run, so I decided to just choose the "run all" option. After 4 hours, it was still running so I figured I must have done something wrong and stopped it. Then I get a Windows warning that says my free space is dangerously low. This was surprising since my drive was less than half filled, so I looked into it and IO Meter had created a file called iobw.tst that took up 66 GB!! So for anyone else out there who wants to benchmark with IO Meter, whatever you do, don't have it do all the tests or it might fill up your hard drive!

And now that I've shared my little misadventure, can the professional storage reviewers here tell me how I'm supposed to actually use IO Meter please? As you can tell, I'm pretty clueless with this program. :$

Oh, even if you selected to run one benchmark or all of them, IOMeter by default will fill up the entire drive space. You can limit that though by setting the sector size and cordon off only a small part for IOMeter to test.