TSullivan

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Review (WD10EALX) Discussion

2TB and larger drives may be all the rage these days, but that doesn’t mean 1TB drives should be ignored. Take a look at Western Digital’s latest Caviar Blue 1TB drive - it costs less than a 2TB drive and has more than enough storage for most folks. What’s not to like? Read our review.

Read Full Review

Is it possible you can include the no. of platters as well as the platter density (GB/platter) in your reviews? Imho, is a very relevant piece of information.

Edited by mojonba

This drive has 2 500 GB platters. But I agree, it should be said explicitly somewhere in the beginning. Especially since the capacity and platter count was mentioned quite a few times during the review.

MrS

Yeah - we can do better on that disclosure. In some cases it's harder than you might think to get the info, but we're on it!

What about noise/heat? I like to know how does it compare to Black and Green... I am trying to decide whether or not to get a Blue or Green as my DATA drive in my HTPC, and as much as I know Green would be quietest, wanted to know if Blue is *acceptable* while giving me better performance.

Thanks

If it's true HTPC duty, the extra performance of the Blue likely won't matter. Tell us more about how you plan on using the drives.

If it's true HTPC duty, the extra performance of the Blue likely won't matter. Tell us more about how you plan on using the drives.

Well, not purely for HTPC.

It's gonna be my MAIN PC in my apartment, will be placed in my home theatre enclosure, along with HDBox, Bluray, receiver, connected to a 50" Plasma, and will be used to play my iTunes music, Netflix, downloaded videos, Youtube, etc... along with doing audio/video editing duties (transfer from DVD to DivX, transfering CD to FLAC/mp3), and also to play games with (Half Life, Battlefield, etc...).

It's an Athlon X4 3.0GHz system with 4gb of RAM, on Win7 Home Premiun. I'd be using a 60gb SSD for boot drive, and like to get 1-1.5TB drive for storage (afraid of going larger as backup drive is only 1TB).

I also intend to make it my file server, so would be connecting it via Gigabit ethernet to my network, so for instance my laptop can also access files on it, and also to sync my laptop iTunes with the virtual drive so I can sync my iPods on both PC and Laptop.

So, as you can see it's a dual/triple purpose HTPC. While SSD would be perfectly fine for boot drive and making programs run fast, I *think* my storage drive should also be a bit faster to manage the workload, WHILE being one of the quieter/cooler drives to work in a HTPC environment.

Any suggestion is appreciated!

Would have been nice to compare drives of the same size(same Platter size & number).

When you look here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/hdd-2010.html

you see how good the 1TB Blue is compared to the 1TB Black Series.

Altogether buying the Black seems only justified if you need a size of 1,5GB or more.

Also the "Can’t keep up with modern 2TB/3TB drives" may be right but in the same way the 2/3TB drives cost a lot more than the Blue, even the cheapest of them cost 2,38 times more than the Blue and only doubles the GB size.

Very good points, I think the biggest thing going for it is that the Blue is fast enough to trail behind the top performing platter drives that can be bought right now. Its a con, but still a very good pro in of itself. The way HDD pricing is today though, you have a lot of people cross shopping 1/2/3TB drives since the differences in price are still nothing compared to what you find in the SSD market going between capacities or models between different brands.

You didn't really answer the noise question. I found several customer reviews that described the noise as loud, sounding like water percolating.

I'm a bit concerned about that myself. I'm surprised you all don't do noise level tests on drives.

Edited by Dr. M