Sign in to follow this  
bromide35

hardware RAM Drives

I had written this site off about 5 years ago. Good to see back alive. Is there anything new with hardware RAM drives?

I have a pair of ans-9010's (4 x sata150 ports) that give me 24GB, but could use some more capacity. They're still sold, but SATA I is a bottleneck, and the DDR2 sticks they use are twice as expensive as DDR3. I was hoping hardware RAM drives would get some traction. They're as fast as SSD, could be faster, and don't have any of the write cycle drawbacks.

You hear bits and pieces on RAM drives, although NAND has certainly taken the lead still being "super fast" and still plenty usable for most people. There is also the cost factor coming into play, where you might not see RAM-based solutions entering the consumer world where you might see it in the enterprise areas (albeit expensive as heck).

What uses did you have in mind? Depending on your budget, you might almost find a SLC-based drive more cost-effective. The Micron/Crucial 100GB P300 is rated for a lifetime 1.75PB written.

I was interested in battery backed RAM drives a while ago as well, but as you've said they're expensive and all I've found are SATA I.

Flash SSDs however have dropped in price enough now that even replacing it every few years is less expensive and faster. And they retain data much longer when power is off, compared to the battery life of a DDR RAM based unit.

I've concluded that a hardware ram drive won't be useful for me with what I do. Unless you're looking for something that can sustain huge GBs / TBs worth of writes every day, I'd say they're obsolete.