vaultdweller

Areca controllers and 4k sector (advanced format) drives

Does anyone have any experience using Areca RAID controllers with advanced format/4k sector drives?

Areca themselves have an FAQ that says, "there have no special settings needed for controller to be able to works with them." However, I'm always hearing bad things about 4k sector drives in hardware RAID-5 arrays, and I'm having a hard time finding accounts from anyone who actually has first-hand experience with compatibility.

I've been running an array of WD10EADS drives on an ARC-1222 controller for two years now, and I'd like to upgrade those drives. I'm nervous about doing so though, as availability of WD20EADS drives is questionable, and I don't have much confidence that the 4kb sector WD20EARS drives will work.

IIRC a few HardOCP (or was it 2cpu?) forum members have used Hitachi Dekststar 7K3000 3TB's without issue... errr crap those are 512 byte sector drives with long LBA ( )

I forget what people are saying with actual 4k drives. I'm a little annoyed Areca's so slow to update their hardware compatibility list... I may switch LSI Logic or Adaptec in my personal box just for that reason. sigh.

http://www.areca.com.tw/support/main.htm

Hi, Using a 3Ware/LSI 6550 sx-12 with 4 x WD WD20EARS drives. I am getting random drives dropping out of a Raid 5

4 x 2TB array. LSI suggested I strap the drives down to 1.5GB/s and diable queing. Tried but still the same. I would suggest you keep clear of these drives.

I read in another forum that Samsung F4 drives work well. Have ordered 4 of these to try out. Will let you know how I go on.

Paul T

I actually went ahead and took a chance with the WD20EARS drives. I have 8 of them in RAID-6 on my ARC-1222, and they've been working flawlessly so far.

Hi, Using a 3Ware/LSI 6550 sx-12 with 4 x WD WD20EARS drives. I am getting random drives dropping out of a Raid 5

4 x 2TB array. LSI suggested I strap the drives down to 1.5GB/s and diable queing. Tried but still the same. I would suggest you keep clear of these drives.

I read in another forum that Samsung F4 drives work well. Have ordered 4 of these to try out. Will let you know how I go on.

Paul T

Random drops probably have to do with lack of TLER on these drives, which is problematic paired with some controllers.