Datasaurus

About your Dell XPS 9000

I ended up not opting to try out the FDE support just yet since the bios password was limited to like 6 digits. TrueCrypt is software encryption and can be hardware accelerated on newer SandyBridge systems that can offload it.

I have a question about Raid options of the DELL Studio XPS 9000 machine since I am turning mine into a homeserver. I was only able to find raid 0 and raid 1 options in the intel storage manager ROM preboot screen. How can I do raid 5 or raid 10 on dell studio xps 9000? I have connected four 2TB WD blacks to sata ports 0-3. Since it has an ich10r it should have raid 5 and raid 10 options.

Just wanted to report back in that the XPS 9000 is still chugging along perfectly with a 120GB Vertex 2. No quirks, no bugs, just flawless operation since I first cloned the system over.

Just wanted to report back in that the XPS 9000 is still chugging along perfectly with a 120GB Vertex 2. No quirks, no bugs, just flawless operation since I first cloned the system over.

Hey TSullivan! I was just about to check in and you beat me to it. Glad to hear it's working well.

I guess I forgot to ask: what applications do you have installed on your Dell system? Is it a fairly clean install of Windows 7 with hardly any installed apps, or do you by any chance of an assortment of various office, video, or audio apps or games? I ask simply because more variables in a situation means less predictability or stability (at least that's what I think).

I hope your summer is going well. And thank you once again for your interest in this thread.

Well the OS pretty dirty in the sense of being carried from one system to another. Its loaded with photo editing stuff, standard assortment of web browsing/chat clients, media software (iTunes, stand-alone players), got some fitness tracking software installed, as well as Steam which I occasionally play Portal 2 or Crysis 2 on. It also has the full office suite installed with Word being the primary component used on a frequent basis.

Well the OS pretty dirty in the sense of being carried from one system to another. Its loaded with photo editing stuff, standard assortment of web browsing/chat clients, media software (iTunes, stand-alone players), got some fitness tracking software installed, as well as Steam which I occasionally play Portal 2 or Crysis 2 on. It also has the full office suite installed with Word being the primary component used on a frequent basis.

Perfect. It's good to know you have some typical apps and games installed. I also forgot to ask: is that Vertex 2 the 34nm or the 25nm version?