Sign in to follow this  
Kremlar

parititioning issues with large RAID6 array

Have a large RAID 6 array (8x 2TB drives, so about 12TB of available storage). I need to maximize available space, but wanted a separate partition for the OS (Windows Server 2008 R2 64-Bit).

I figured I'd create a 100GB C: partition for OS and apps, then leave the rest for a D: partition.

When installing the OS the paritioning utility initially shows 1 continuous 12TB drive. But, after I create the 100GB OS partition, it then creates a small 'system reserved' partition and divides the remaining space in 2 (a 1.9TB chunk, and a ~10TB chunk).

I'd like that remaining space combined so I can create a single 11.9TB partition.

Not sure what's going on. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks!

Have a large RAID 6 array (8x 2TB drives, so about 12TB of available storage). I need to maximize available space, but wanted a separate partition for the OS (Windows Server 2008 R2 64-Bit).

I figured I'd create a 100GB C: partition for OS and apps, then leave the rest for a D: partition.

When installing the OS the paritioning utility initially shows 1 continuous 12TB drive. But, after I create the 100GB OS partition, it then creates a small 'system reserved' partition and divides the remaining space in 2 (a 1.9TB chunk, and a ~10TB chunk).

I'd like that remaining space combined so I can create a single 11.9TB partition.

Not sure what's going on. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks!

I ended up creating 2 virtual disks in the RAID controller itself. Once I did that Windows saw it as 2 separate drives and everything worked without a hitch.

Thanks