Coconut-Audio

Playback 720p through 100mbit network?

I have a bunch of 720p Blu-ray files on my nettop and I try to play them through my 100mbit wireless network on my movie system but they are all choppy. My other 720p files are smooth but not the Blu-ray files, any ideas what to do?

If you want to rule out the connection, see if the movies will play fine locally first. Given you say it is a nettop, there may be HD decoding issues at hand. What is the CPU usage like while it stutters?

If you want to rule out the connection, see if the movies will play fine locally first. Given you say it is a nettop, there may be HD decoding issues at hand. What is the CPU usage like while it stutters?

I copied the file to my movie system which took many hours. When I played it back locally it was smooth without any problems.

I suppose in that case the bitrate on that particular file might be too high for the wireless network to support. Any chance of getting a wired connection to the system if you can't upgrade the router or wifi card in the nettop?

Which nettop is it anyway...with specs.

The nettop is Asrock Nettop ION 330, but it's only the one that stores the 720p files. I use Asus X50SL laptop to playback the files to my 30 inch HP LP3065 30 inch screen.

I copied a 6.6 GB file through the network in the morning when I woke up, and when I was going to sleep the file still hadn't finished copying! In the beginning of the file the copying was faster, but then it became slower and slower. What could be wrong with my network? The nettop has Windows XP and the laptop has Ubuntu.

What router are you using? If it took that long to transfer the file, its not even at Wireless-G speeds, let alone 100mbit N. You might have a reception issue.

Yeah, I'm betting that your wireless speeds are nowhere near 100mbit at all. Have you looked at bitrate of the connection while streaming/copying files to see what it actually is?

I gave up wireless in my home, years ago.

The connections are too unstable, especially if you live in apartments with a high number of accesspoints nearby. i on my 54mbit i got speeds from 3 to 22mbit, but it kept swapping back and forth, and changing channels did nothing (i can see like 16 wireless lans from my laptop when im home)

So my WHS, my PS3 and my PC and even my Popcornhour box are all connected via gigabit lan Through a DIR-655.

Only thing i run wireless these days are my office laptop, when i take it home, oh.. and the ipad.