TSullivan

What graphics card do you run in your system?

NVIDIA or ATI  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What graphics platform do you prefer?

What do you guys run in your personal systems and why? Are you going for better performance, better driver stability, preference on the type of card (passive/active cooling)?

Right now I seem to be leaning towards NVIDIA for stability and driver support. I also sport a passive cooled GeForce 7600 for complete silence outside of my power supply cooling fan.

Geforce GT240 GDDR5. Sucky, but runs cool and can handle light gaming. A Geforce GT450 would probably be the budget card of choice for me right now.

If I ever have serious time to devote to Starcraft 2 or Civ5 I'll probably pick up a Geforce GTX 560 Ti or Radeon HD 6950 or similar...

Goooooo integrated graphics! Such is my life the last 6 years as I live on ultra portables.

My desktop has a 5850 In it, while my T400 has the 3470 and intel 4500 in it. The mini has some random nVidia Card in it, and the old Asus C90s has a 8600m GT in it. And right now I'm on the ATI side of the fence, the nvidia 8/9 series has left a bad taste in my mouth for now.

As it stands I'm in the ATI camp right now... sorry, I mean AMD. First because ATI integrated allowed me to hack a VGA output into an RGB SCART signal, then because it supported better HTPC picture quality without ridiculous idle power consumption considering the HTPC is on about half the day, and finally when my old nVidia 6800GT gave up the ghost it was the best value on eBay at the time! But if I was building a gaming system to last, today, I'd put a GeForce 560 Ti in it. Civ 5 FTW!

I really appreciate the strides in idle power consumption that both sides have made in the last couple of years, and I've always preferred the quieter life, even under load. nVidia has been too hot & too loud for quite a while, but they're getting it back under control now. But I'm keen to see what the performance vs. power tradeoff is with the next graphics die shrink!

Just went back on the ATI Radeon wagon because I just bought the Apple Cinema Display 27" and will run it on my homebuild PC monster so needed a card with native minidisplay port because I didn't want to spend a fortune on a box with dvi to minidisplay adapter - so got the Sapphire Radeon 6970 2 GB GDDR3 ram for PCI EXpress and it's a very good stable running card :)

Currently running a Sapphire Vapor-X 5870 in my desktop because it was known to be the one of the fastest(before 6 series..at least lol) but also coolest running cards(best heatsink design) since I did not want to fiddle with watercooling the GPU this time around.

Edited by NeOnLaZeR

In my HP SSF(require low profile card), I am running a ATI HD 4350. I was planning on trying to hook up a 8800GTX but that would require some baking(bad card), an external PSU, and a mixture of riser cards/pcie extension/extender cables and a shoe box! :P

On my ancient laptop, its a super powerful GMA 900.

Its 50/50 that the 9800GTX+ melts itself :P

Idles at 45C, peaked at like 78-80C during Crysis at full settings. I'd say it worked out pretty well after I cleaned out the dog hair.

GTX 285 here with 2GB ram on it.

And a GTX 210 on my server

I keep with nvidia cards because they have treated me well over the years and they work well for my folding @ home project. The one time I tried an ATI card in my system, the drivers would not find the card. Been with nvidia ever since.

However my laptop has an ATI card which runs just fine.

I've got an ATI based 5750. I wish I had a 5850 or 5870 at this point. :(

Nothing wrong with 5750s.. just they're about half the performance potential of the others I mentioned.