chashutch

Build it or go to the cloud?

I am trying to make a decision for a micro business venture that I have. Basically, I am trying to decide whether or not I should host my storage on a home server (FreeNas) or just pay to host my files in the cloud.

I have a small business where we travel locally and frequently find ourselves needing to access files that are stored on the "home office" server. The server has 2TB of "consumer" grade storage and hosts files for four users (mac, pc, and linux laptops). The files are of various types (media files, graphic files, web site templates, demos, presentations, etc).

Two questions:

1. What is the most reliable way to connect BACK to the home server over the internet? The home internet connection is 35/35 FIOS so performance is not an issue but up-time could be as I can not control who might walk by and kick out a plug or if the power goes out during a storm, etc.

- need 24x7 access (how reliable would the home solution be?)

- files need to be backed up and secure

2. Should I consider moving ALL of the files to an online storage solution such as Amazon S3 or box.net?

Any thoughts would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,

Hutch

I've contemplated this exact problem for a few other companies I'm involved with. The conclusion we came to is to use a Synology unit for the SMB NAS, and back that up to S3. The backups don't hit you as hard since there is less data moving about. You could also back up locally to something like an IOSafe..just depends on how critical your data is. But with the Synology easy setup and the iOS and Android apps, you get a lot of flexibility.

Thanks for the replies. Good question around the uptime (accessibility) being worth $200 or not. Today it probably is not, therefore, I will go down the path of remote access to the home NAS machine.

Hutch

Really cloud computing is very useful in small business, it reduces our hardware (computers and software), networking management and overall IT expenses. In addition, with cloud computing, we pay for what we use.

I happened to stumble on the site called www.soldonthecloud.com is a web-base affiliate site of cloudzow...unlimited backup storage space for only $5.00 a month

Cloud services are among the most advanced and secured technology these days and personal as well as small, medium and large sized organizations have integrated their work force on cloud network. Cloud storage is a part of this service and after reading the question above. I like to say that moving to cloud would be an adequate decision as it has proven as the safer and easily accessible environment. I have been using SugarSync since 6 months and i had a great experience with them. They offer 5GB of free storage with smart dashboard feature as well... Although, there are a lot of providers in the market offering their services in different pricing modules with respect to their features and benefits. But i would rate SygarSync, Google Drive, SkyDrive, Dropbox, Boxnet and ZipCloud among the reliable and affordable choice for the SMB's. You can access their service from anywhere around the world even from your smartphone...

I agree with chashutch that S3 is the best one but i would cost a lot and if it comes under our budget. Then, there is no better option than S3.

With Web, Android, iPhone, Mac, and Windows clients, and a nifty "fetch" feature, Microsoft's cloud solution, SkyDrive, is one of the most complete offerings of its type. This best online data storage is awesome in each and every department of IT. Mobile devices make use pf dropbox and google docs for its bese use.

1. What is the most reliable way to connect BACK to the home server over the internet? The home internet connection is 35/35 FIOS so performance is not an issue but up-time could be as I can not control who might walk by and kick out a plug or if the power goes out during a storm, etc.

- need 24x7 access (how reliable would the home solution be?)

- files need to be backed up and secure

Secure SCP would be the way to go. Setup a small Linux appliance that has access to the data and scp over ssh using WinSCP.

It is up to you to tell us how reliable your home solution is.

I used to have a home connection with no outage for 2 years straight.

Setup your server, router, and switches on an UPS.

2. Should I consider moving ALL of the files to an online storage solution such as Amazon S3 or box.net?

Not worth it.

1. It is too costly.

2. Transferring all that data in an out is going to be a pita.

My overall recommendation is to get a portal drive that has a copy of the data. It is only 2TB.

Then use something like the free Crashplan app or Synctoy to keep that data in sync with the data on the server.

You can even sync while being remote.

Edited by flexraid

If your data is kept into your servers without any backups, any unfortunate event such as system crash, server fail-over, etc would leave you standing nowhere. You need to make sure your hosting provider or you manage your database and establish an effective backup plan so that even in-case you suffer from any server based crash you would still be able to observer seam less data recovery. Cloud computing environments irrespective of their flavor provide stringent data loss prevention and disaster recovery measures. Client’s data hosted in the cloud is routinely backed up and stored safely so it can be readily accessed in case of emergency.