gfody

Question about LSI controllers

Assuming they would all work the same way - I'm considering the MegaRAID SAS 9280

I'm curious if this controller works similar to Areca in that you can setup one underlying RAID utilizing all of your drives and then define multiple logical volumes on top of that. It's for a new VM server and I find this feature extremely helpful for setting up pass-through volumes for my VMs.

Assuming they would all work the same way - I'm considering the MegaRAID SAS 9280

I'm curious if this controller works similar to Areca in that you can setup one underlying RAID utilizing all of your drives and then define multiple logical volumes on top of that. It's for a new VM server and I find this feature extremely helpful for setting up pass-through volumes for my VMs.

Not sure if the terminology is the same however on my 9281-81, I can setup one large raid6 array and then setup multiple smaller virtual drives. The aren't really "nested", just smaller slices of the raid pie so to speak. Hope that answers your question.

Edited by Bish