Brian

Shocking: AMD belittling Thunderbolt

Oh silly AMD - I'm not even close on sold on Thunderbolt, but AMD says it's only 52% faster than a USB 3 port. I know that in order to support Thunderbolt they'd have to support Intel, but still, just be quiet already.

"The DisplayPort1.2 standard offers up to 17Gb/s of peak bandwidth for displays. [...] Many AMD-based platforms support USB 3.0 which offers 4.8Gb/s of peak bandwidth, AMD natively supports SATA 6Gb/s with our 8-series chipsets. [Meanwhile], the total bandwidth stated for a Thunderbolt channel is only 20% higher than one PCI Express 3.0 lane and about 52% higher than a single USB 3.0 port," claimed the official for AMD.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20110228163206_AMD_Does_Not_Believe_in_Intel_s_Thunderbolt.html

What worries me more with USB is, that it's a complete waste of resources.

-> USB 2.0 is rated at about 57MB/s, the best you get will be around 30MB/s -> 50% loss for overhead, a cheap router with Ethernet is more efficient.

I really hope that Thunderbold has a very low overhead.

Still, proliferation of the connection might be an issue, there really isn't a point in replacing many computers in terms of processing power, even though they could benefit from Thunderbolt.

Even though Thunderbolt is a lot faster... I rather have wireless USB technology...

Utter nonsense and rubbish is the only answer I can think off reading something like that.

As if we haven't got enough wireless junk....

On the one hand, wireless needs more electricity than wired, on the other it interferes with itself.

Wi-Fi managed to interfere with 3G on my mobile once -> solution: Move mobile away from laptop...

Wi-Fi - ever noticed you get maybe 1,5 to 2MB/s at home on g Wi-Fi? -> Your Wi-Fi network interferes with others, changing the channel on my router at home increased the top Wi-Fi speed by about 0,8MB/s.

So what do you want wireless USB for? It's an idiotic idea with ZERO benefit.

(Forgot Bluetooth: Dead slow and only reaches about 10m - in an ideal word, real life it dies much quicker and a thick jacket can already cause issues...)

Utter nonsense and rubbish is the only answer I can think off reading something like that.

As if we haven't got enough wireless junk....

On the one hand, wireless needs more electricity than wired, on the other it interferes with itself.

Wi-Fi managed to interfere with 3G on my mobile once -> solution: Move mobile away from laptop...

Wi-Fi - ever noticed you get maybe 1,5 to 2MB/s at home on g Wi-Fi? -> Your Wi-Fi network interferes with others, changing the channel on my router at home increased the top Wi-Fi speed by about 0,8MB/s.

So what do you want wireless USB for? It's an idiotic idea with ZERO benefit.

(Forgot Bluetooth: Dead slow and only reaches about 10m - in an ideal word, real life it dies much quicker and a thick jacket can already cause issues...)

I don't need faster speed since I mainly use small files... I hate having to disconnect and connect USB devices to my USB ports constantly... so no, its not an idiotic idea with zero benefit... I have several devices which could be of great benefit from wireless USB such as webcams, flash drives, to other USB devices... just because you don't use it doesn't mean other people don't...

Edited by EvilNewbie

I don't need faster speed since I mainly use small files... I hate having to disconnect and connect USB devices to my USB ports constantly... so no, its not an idiotic idea with zero benefit... I have several devices which could be of great benefit from wireless USB such as webcams, flash drives, to other USB devices... just because you don't use it doesn't mean other people don't...

If you want small files set something up with bluetooth.

Also, you're forgetting interference with other devices - can I complain to other people using Wi-Fi routers? No. I have to suffer through a lower speed, so another wireless technology will just add more interference.

Further, your post indicates that you have no idea what you are talking about.

How do you want to run a USB Flash drive off a wireless connection? Those things don't have a power supply - the moment you charge them wirelessly you need either a docking station of some sorts or its long range which could interfere with medical equipment (pacemakers) and will possibly again interfere with the rest of the wireless spectrum.

Same with Webcams etc. -> where do you want to get the power from?

If you don't have enough USB Ports, buy a USB hub and don't call for a pointless technology.

If you want small files set something up with bluetooth.

Also, you're forgetting interference with other devices - can I complain to other people using Wi-Fi routers? No. I have to suffer through a lower speed, so another wireless technology will just add more interference.

Further, your post indicates that you have no idea what you are talking about.

How do you want to run a USB Flash drive off a wireless connection? Those things don't have a power supply - the moment you charge them wirelessly you need either a docking station of some sorts or its long range which could interfere with medical equipment (pacemakers) and will possibly again interfere with the rest of the wireless spectrum.

Same with Webcams etc. -> where do you want to get the power from?

If you don't have enough USB Ports, buy a USB hub and don't call for a pointless technology.

You don't know what you are talking about... inductive charging have been out for a long time and it doesn't take genius to figure out how to power such devices should wireless usb be natively supported... wifi routers don't extend that far unless you are living in an apartment which isn't necessarily my problem that you live in an apartment... pacemaker blah blah blah... people are dying from pacemakers and wifi signals all the time... it seems you don't like the technology because YOU don't like it... unfortunately, we don't based everything on what you like...

You don't know what you are talking about... inductive charging have been out for a long time and it doesn't take genius to figure out how to power such devices should wireless usb be natively supported... wifi routers don't extend that far unless you are living in an apartment which isn't necessarily my problem that you live in an apartment... pacemaker blah blah blah... people are dying from pacemakers and wifi signals all the time... it seems you don't like the technology because YOU don't like it... unfortunately, we don't based everything on what you like...

...you haven't read my post one bit, have you?

Inductive charging only works over a short distance - and it will still need a port.

-> But typical, people will whinge for the newest junk because they can, no matter how stupid the idea is, just because it is new. Then in 3 months they want something new.

Wi-Fi -> The singal emitted by Wi-Fi routers is stronger than the "beam" from a mobile phone mast - that tells us something (measured by BBC Panorama by the way).

I also don't live in an apartment but a semi detached house - still, I have 14 Wi-Fi networks around me including mine - and it has been worse (apparently some people switch their routers off).

Additionally, inductive charging is less efficient, you need more energy -> waste of resources.

Also, how will you secure your USB drive when it can be read wirelessly? -> The moment it is short range it looses its point.

Pacemakers: The fact that it hasn't been shown yet that someone has died doesn't mean a lot -> in the same way that you aren't supposed to use a mobile phone in a hospital (I guess you do).

It isn't about what I like but what is useful.

On a side note: I guess you cheer 4G even though it currently knocks out GPS.

...you haven't read my post one bit, have you?

Inductive charging only works over a short distance - and it will still need a port.

-> But typical, people will whinge for the newest junk because they can, no matter how stupid the idea is, just because it is new. Then in 3 months they want something new.

Wi-Fi -> The singal emitted by Wi-Fi routers is stronger than the "beam" from a mobile phone mast - that tells us something (measured by BBC Panorama by the way).

I also don't live in an apartment but a semi detached house - still, I have 14 Wi-Fi networks around me including mine - and it has been worse (apparently some people switch their routers off).

Additionally, inductive charging is less efficient, you need more energy -> waste of resources.

Also, how will you secure your USB drive when it can be read wirelessly? -> The moment it is short range it looses its point.

Pacemakers: The fact that it hasn't been shown yet that someone has died doesn't mean a lot -> in the same way that you aren't supposed to use a mobile phone in a hospital (I guess you do).

It isn't about what I like but what is useful.

On a side note: I guess you cheer 4G even though it currently knocks out GPS.

You think I have ten foot arms to reach my keyboard? Is that your reasoning that I need physical ports instead of wireless ports? You are right people go for the newest stuff out there like LCD TVs, tablets, LED light bulbs, solar panels... you know the useless stuff that nobody should invest any money into because its useless... Wifi networks don't go very far even when I lived in an apartment I don't even get more than half a dozen networks and guess what... my network function just fine despite those pesky interference even while streaming video...

Lets just do things the most efficient way as possible... lets shut down all the stuff people do that are terribly inefficient but convenient... I like living in the stone ages... I use telephones everywhere including the hospital, nobody died yet.. the amazing thing, people with pacemakers also use them as well... and they are still living... useful according to you? I see... well then life should be so much better because we have someone who claims to know exactly what is "useful" and what is not... stop the presses, we found the only person on this planet who thinks too much of himself... on the side note... yeah, I like 4G and my GPS works just fine, I had more problems with tall skyscrapers with my GPS then any 4G... maybe we should knock down those skycrapers...

Edited by EvilNewbie

You think I have ten foot arms to reach my keyboard? Is that your reasoning that I need physical ports instead of wireless ports? You are right people go for the newest stuff out there like LCD TVs, tablets, LED light bulbs, solar panels... you know the useless stuff that nobody should invest any money into because its useless... Wifi networks don't go very far even when I lived in an apartment I don't even get more than half a dozen networks and guess what... my network function just fine despite those pesky interference even while streaming video...

Lets just do things the most efficient way as possible... lets shut down all the stuff people do that are terribly inefficient but convenient... I like living in the stone ages... I use telephones everywhere including the hospital, nobody died yet.. the amazing thing, people with pacemakers also use them as well... and they are still living... useful according to you? I see... well then life should be so much better because we have someone who claims to know exactly what is "useful" and what is not... stop the presses, we found the only person on this planet who thinks too much of himself... on the side note... yeah, I like 4G and my GPS works just fine, I had more problems with tall skyscrapers with my GPS then any 4G... maybe we should knock down those skycrapers...

The very moment your have some wireless dock on your desk you might as well use a USB Hub port - it will need the same amount of space.

New tech: My phone is a 3 old smartphone - works fine, is reliable. It was dropped a couple of times, even took a bath in a puddle of mineral water (new bottle...) - still works. No security problems, and no money wasting aps.

-> Around me people buy the newest phone - and even models from the same company now work worse!! (A friend from Uni had one that just dropped the signal for no reason at all... -> the newer replacement does not).

Also, your reasoning is flawed.

If people came up to me in Europe and asked "should I install solar panels on my house" I'd say do the maths, but most likely unless you live in the south or want to live in the same place for decades not.

-> That changes when you have a company with a larger roof area.

And Wi-Fi networks do go far - I believe 300m in ideal conditions - i.e. no other signals or walls.

-> As I said, I have 14 networks (and more) around me at times in a semi-detached house, the person next to us most likely hasn't by the way.

And that's mainly g wifi, n goes further than g.

Phones:

Well, possibly the typically American attitude... before someone proves a phone kills someone you won't switch it off.

About pacemakers: Yes, these people use mobiles - but as a rule always on the side of the body opposed to the pacemaker - also because tissue will absorb a fair amount of radiation.

But on this note... the US never really cared a lot about the environment - even when studies showed that chemicals are toxic - companies continued to spew them into the environment...

The point of a wireless dock is that you don't have to connect it... it does so automatically... if I want to access my flash drive, I just have to walk up to my computer, sit down, and open the folder... rather than adding more steps (like plugging it in) that are otherwise unnecessary and ironically, inefficient use of time... I have a car and all I have to do is touch the handle and my car opens because the key is in my pocket (ie I don't have to look for my key or put my key in to unlock the door).

Old and reliable... that's nice.. what works for you doesn't work for most people otherwise everyone would be driving a 1970 Yugo... I am glad you didn't get any of those SSD because the old and reliable hard drives still works and saves you money too (please don't tell me you bought an SSD)... I have people around me with newer models of their phones and they are satisfied and if given the opportunity to choose between an older phone or a newer phone... well.. that's their choice... and none of it is the wrong choice... that is unless they talk to you... 3 years old, I am sure the guy with the 6 year old phone thinks you are an idiot too...

Should you install solar panels in your home? Well if the cost is worth it over a long period of time.. but if it isn't doesn't that mean we should stop all R&D on improving solar panel efficiency? Does it mean that we stop selling solar panels because most areas won't be able to use it? No, we still sell it and we didn't abandon R&D because it wasn't worth it because one little house doesn't want to use it and claim its stupid...

Thats nice that they can reach 300m in ideal conditions but it doesn't apply to real world conditions and that is what we are talking about right... the "real" world... and in the real world, you be lucky to get more than 30 feet.. after all, we don't put our routers so that we can access the internet out on the lawn...

Typical attitudes when you don't know anything... it doesn't matter what side of the ear you put the cell phone as it only matters if you leave it in your shirt pocket directly over the heart and even then there is only a minute (as in pretty much none) that there will be any issues. I don't have time to debate to you about chemicals and pollution because you are the biggest hypocrite... do you drive, do you work, do you eat, do you sleep, you are basis of this pollution so don't preach about something you don't practice... by the way, buying electric cars isn't saving the planet, its just killing it slower...

Edited by EvilNewbie

The point of a wireless dock is that you don't have to connect it... it does so automatically... if I want to access my flash drive, I just have to walk up to my computer, sit down, and open the folder... rather than adding more steps (like plugging it in) that are otherwise unnecessary and ironically, inefficient use of time... I have a car and all I have to do is touch the handle and my car opens because the key is in my pocket (ie I don't have to look for my key or put my key in to unlock the door).

Old and reliable... that's nice.. what works for you doesn't work for most people otherwise everyone would be driving a 1970 Yugo... I am glad you didn't get any of those SSD because the old and reliable hard drives still works and saves you money too (please don't tell me you bought an SSD)... I have people around me with newer models of their phones and they are satisfied and if given the opportunity to choose between an older phone or a newer phone... well.. that's their choice... and none of it is the wrong choice... that is unless they talk to you... 3 years old, I am sure the guy with the 6 year old phone thinks you are an idiot too...

Should you install solar panels in your home? Well if the cost is worth it over a long period of time.. but if it isn't doesn't that mean we should stop all R&D on improving solar panel efficiency? Does it mean that we stop selling solar panels because most areas won't be able to use it? No, we still sell it and we didn't abandon R&D because it wasn't worth it because one little house doesn't want to use it and claim its stupid...

Thats nice that they can reach 300m in ideal conditions but it doesn't apply to real world conditions and that is what we are talking about right... the "real" world... and in the real world, you be lucky to get more than 30 feet.. after all, we don't put our routers so that we can access the internet out on the lawn...

Typical attitudes when you don't know anything... it doesn't matter what side of the ear you put the cell phone as it only matters if you leave it in your shirt pocket directly over the heart and even then there is only a minute (as in pretty much none) that there will be any issues. I don't have time to debate to you about chemicals and pollution because you are the biggest hypocrite... do you drive, do you work, do you eat, do you sleep, you are basis of this pollution so don't preach about something you don't practice... by the way, buying electric cars isn't saving the planet, its just killing it slower...

I'll look forward to seeing your documents on the web :)

Oh and cars - you know that these idiotic wireless keys that automatically unlock your car doors are a godsend for car thieves? A simple relay and the car is open - that's done in Europe.

The wireless keys where you physically have to press a button are already insecure - just record the signal and you can open the car without any issues, however it does actually require you to wait for the owner and doesn't allow you to try and "fish" for an empty vehicle.

SSD - actually I do have an SSD -> as 34nm Intel SSD - bought after it has been around for several months and proven itself in the market.

I.e. proven technology and not the newest junk (makes me think of OCZ).

30 feet for wireless networks also sounds a bit too pessimistic on your side - the garden is about 10 or 15m long - (not sure which, one is the length of the cable of out lawnmover and its just a tad shorter than the garden) - I'm pretty sure I am picking up the signals from the houses opposite (how else can I get 14 networks) which also have a garden of their own.

It is definitely much more than 30 feet (10 metres) in less than ideal conditions.

And actually, yes, people also buy routers to use laptops in their garden - but mainly to use it anywhere in the house, which also means it needs to be powerful enough to go through a few walls.

Solar panels - you haven't read my post again.

Can you actually read?

Ah, I forgot, you're from the US - they possibly don't teach you to read.

You pick out a few words and comment on them.

Edit:

Just to add a few points:

Mobile in your shirt pocket - who does that? I don't, my grandfather who actually has a pacemaker doesn't either. In fact, nobody in Europe I know does that - but maybe Americans do potentially stupid things more easily (yes, it isn't yet proven phones are harmful, but no need to make sure they will be if they are)

On this note:

I don't drive - what's the point? A developed country has a functioning public transport system.

-> Food: Uses of pesticides and medcine etc. is more closely regulated in the EU than the US -> so blame yourself.

Also, if you look at environmental damage, the US is pretty much at the forefront (with the exceptions of industrial sites in Africa/China/South America, some of them operated also by European companies).

Edit 2:

Just adding a nice link - http://www.zeit.de/zeit-wissen/2011/04/Forum-Analyse-Autos-hacken

So much for technology...

Edited by DetlevCM

Wireless USB? Why not use wifi? There are now plenty portable nas units, and battery operated nas units.

Anything the size of a flash drive would only give an hour or two of power anyway, and if you want inductive charging, use that with a wifi nas.

Wifi also should have much better range than any conceivable wireless USB or UWB product.

What does using USB gain over wifi?

Full Disclosure: I like keyless entry on my car, thunderbolt, wireless tech (adopted it back when it was from proxim) and have an ocz throttle that I love dearly (enough iops to boot off of and not tear your hair out)

Edited by fizzwinkus