acru

Western Digital RMA how long is too long?

Back at the beginning of February, my WD1002FAEX drive kept coming up with a failed smart status on bootup and was able to pull off all the data before the drive completely failed.

I created the RMA and sent it in on Feb 12th, and Western Digital provided me with a UPS tracking number on the 22nd which status states: "A label for this shipment has been created, but UPS does not yet have possession of this shipment. Once we receive the shipment, the tracking status will be updated." I contacted WD after several days had passed and the status had not changed, and was told it was being processed by customs. After 9 I gave them a call and was told that they did not have any stock of this drive in, and most likely will not for at least 1-2 weeks and to call again in another week.

In the past WD RMA's usually had a turnaround of just over a week, and I remember somewhere on their site it states if they do not have that drive model in stock they will ship out a replacement of equal or greater value. This obviously does not seem to be the case with my return this time around.

How long is too long for an RMA from WD? Seems like WD is giving me the runaround this time.

If I'm you, I wouldn't be entirely thrilled with the delay. Have you asked for an "upgraded" drive to see what they say? Seems reasonable if they're talking about several weeks to turn it.

If I'm you, I wouldn't be entirely thrilled with the delay. Have you asked for an "upgraded" drive to see what they say? Seems reasonable if they're talking about several weeks to turn it.

No I haven't. In the past all my RMA's went with no issue and I had a replacement back from them within a week. Wouldn't know if I should ask that over e-mail support or phone support I've been in contact with both. Would the person at the other end know what I'm referring to if I said an upgraded drive?

While it is too late to tell you this now... always spring for advanced RMA regardless of the manufacturer. You put a credit card on hold, they ship you a new drive, and you have a 30-day window to return the old one.

Also curious... what sort of SMART failure were you getting and what motherboard? I have one motherboard that dislikes a lot of drives and each time it goes through a reboot cycle it says all the drives have a SMART failure.

During the last batch of windows updates, I rebooted the computer and it came back to an endless repair windows loop. Ran western digital utility which came back as read element failure and I decided to do an extended test which reported errors that it fixed. Ran a full format and installed windows again to the drive.

Within a couple minutes of installing to the drive, programs started crashing left and right. At this point I ran dlgdiag again and it found more errors and fixed them. I ran it one final time and dlgdiag reported there were too many errors. At this point I rebooted the PC and at the post screen it reported a smart imminent failure.

The smart failure didn't pop up until it ran out of spare sectors to reallocate. This occurred on an Asus AT5IONT-I motherboard.

It had been awhile since my last WD failure, so I had assumed this one would have gone without incident as well. Seems WD is more than content on telling me conflicting information via e-mail just to tell me another story over the phone.

Back at the beginning of February, my WD1002FAEX drive kept coming up with a failed smart status on bootup and was able to pull off all the data before the drive completely failed.

I created the RMA and sent it in on Feb 12th, and Western Digital provided me with a UPS tracking number on the 22nd which status states: "A label for this shipment has been created, but UPS does not yet have possession of this shipment. Once we receive the shipment, the tracking status will be updated." I contacted WD after several days had passed and the status had not changed, and was told it was being processed by customs. After 9 I gave them a call and was told that they did not have any stock of this drive in, and most likely will not for at least 1-2 weeks and to call again in another week.

In the past WD RMA's usually had a turnaround of just over a week, and I remember somewhere on their site it states if they do not have that drive model in stock they will ship out a replacement of equal or greater value. This obviously does not seem to be the case with my return this time around.

How long is too long for an RMA from WD? Seems like WD is giving me the runaround this time.

I agree with the advanced RMA process. I had a WD 1 TB black fail on me just past the 1 year mark with bad sectors. Using a credit card to secure it, they sent a new one out within a week and I sent the old one back the day after I received it. You can re-use their shipping containers so they can't claim the drive was shipped back improperly too. The new drive was one of the newer models with newer firmware, but they didn't upgrade me capacity wise.

Takes a couple weeks to get a drive on Advanced RMA here in Canada... They ship a large shipment up to Canada, which has to clear customs, and then they ship the individual drives out from their warehouse.

I had a 1TB WDC Black 1002FAEX that went bad (used to go missing all of a sudden in windows 7 alongwith all the partitions). rebooting cured this problem or did not. RMAed through my vendor on 16 Dec 2010 and got a replacement on 31 Dec 2010 (delay because of 2010 Christmas).

Edited by acyuta

Takes a couple weeks to get a drive on Advanced RMA here in Canada... They ship a large shipment up to Canada, which has to clear customs, and then they ship the individual drives out from their warehouse.

Had to RMA another drive just the other day, one of my 2TB green drives had a bad case of the disappearing reappearing bad sectors and failing to reallocate bad sectors. Decided to give the Advanced RMA a try, I guess 2 weeks is better than the month it took by doing a standard RMA. <_<

I'm guessing WDC would rather make you wait for them to have a refurbished drive to send to you.

Yup they sent me a refurbished drive, blargh.

Yup they sent me a refurbished drive, blargh.

I have received plenty of refurb models and they have all tested fine. Run a full disk wipe or two and monitor the SMART data for any errors that pop up. If it tests fine then put it into service.

The only refurb drive I would feel uncomfortable with is an SSD. In that setting you have no idea how "used" the flash is.

I have received plenty of refurb models and they have all tested fine. Run a full disk wipe or two and monitor the SMART data for any errors that pop up. If it tests fine then put it into service.

The only refurb drive I would feel uncomfortable with is an SSD. In that setting you have no idea how "used" the flash is.

Formatted once then ran an extended test with dlgdiag, all came back ok. :)

$90 is a bit high to place as a hold on my CC though for an advanced RMA only to get a recertified unit back. I'd hate to be someone who ends up being charged $90 if WD finds nothing wrong considering a new one online is almost the same price. :huh:

I can almost see myself in 2 years time when 4TB+ drives are where 2TB drives are now and trying to sell this drive off. I can almost hear them trying to haggle the price down even further once they see that recertified sticker. :lol: