TSullivan

Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB Shipping Discussion

The Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB hard drive has started shipping. Seagate is going without an included HBA as some have done, instead solving the legacy drive over 2.2TB issues with software. An updated version of Seagate DiscWizard gets the job done, making it easy to use the entire 3TB capacity, even within Windows XP and legacy BIOS.

Click for full article

The Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB hard drive has started shipping. Seagate is going without an included HBA as some have done, instead solving the legacy drive over 2.2TB issues with software. An updated version of Seagate DiscWizard gets the job done, making it easy to use the entire 3TB capacity, even within Windows XP and legacy BIOS.

Click for full article

Figures, just after I pick up 4 2TB Barracuda XTs. Still, 4TB fully mirrored is probably enough space for me... especially coming from 1.5TB usable.

There is no mention of SmartAlign in the drive specs in Seagate's website. Is it certain that it's an advanced format drive ?

There is no mention of SmartAlign in the drive specs in Seagate's website. Is it certain that it's an advanced format drive ?

Yes, it is - directly mentioned in our briefing on the drive.

As to 4TB, I think there's zero chance. MFGs are still figuring out this 3TB thing and the pricing doesn't have client buyers at least, running out to buy.

As to 4TB, I think there's zero chance. MFGs are still figuring out this 3TB thing and the pricing doesn't have client buyers at least, running out to buy.

I think this might be a pessimistic given samsungs announcements at cebit - see http://www.heise.de/resale/meldung/Festplatten-Prototypen-mit-bis-zu-einem-Terabyte-pro-Scheibe-1201521.html (sorry, german only):

* The new 2TB Drive HN-D201RAE (SpinPoint F6 EcoGreen) uses just two platters with 1TB each

* Models with 3 and 4 platters (or 3 and 4 TB) are to be introduced "within the year".

So, while there's no firm date I would put the chance of actually seeing 4TB drives at slightly above zero :-)

Bye, Martin

Hah, that may be...better than zero at least. I just don't see the utility yet at the client level, I hope I'm wrong though, we love to see new drives ;)

I betcha we'll see a 4TB "green" drive by year end since 7200rpm @ 750GB/platter seems to be coming along. Well it might be a 5-platter "green" drive haha.

So is this 3TB Barracuda XT a 4-platter drive compared to the 5-platter version in the hot external enclosures?

I betcha we'll see a 4TB "green" drive by year end since 7200rpm @ 750GB/platter seems to be coming along. Well it might be a 5-platter "green" drive haha.

So is this 3TB Barracuda XT a 4-platter drive compared to the 5-platter version in the hot external enclosures?

This one is 5-platters -

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_barracuda_xt_3tb_shipping_st33000651as

At least it won't be hot with some airflow in a case. I still can't believe these guys (not just seagate) are putting 4 and 5 platter 7,200 RPM drives in external enclosures with no airflow.

With seagate you can tell the number of platters by the second to last numeric digit in the model number.

Just came across this drive, and then your review.

First, a few typos:

“neither hadware or software”

neither hardware nor software

“EUFI”

UEFI

I also do not believe this is an Advanced Format drive with SmartAlign. All published specifications indicate it’s a standard 512-byte sector drive, like the 2TB version of the series.

AnandTech’s review of the external model initially stated the drive used 4K sectors, but later retracted this after clarification from Seagate. I guess time will tell.

Hah, thanks for the edits ;)

We're working up the review on this drive right now and will report back on the AF and SA issues.