Brian

Intel SSD 510 Review Discussion

Nice teasers...been watching all day and you made me join the forum to see those LOL

Now where are the 4k random 1qd scores since that's about all I really care about :)

BAM!

Forgive the small font... trying to fit that all on the screen to get a screenshot of the entire group had to have some small compromises :lol:

post-70131-0-93848500-1298933552_thumb.p

It was slightly concerning that there is pretty much no ramp in 4K write speed. It hits 11-12k right out of the gate and stays there.

I sort of expected it would perform nicely in real-world tasks and it did.

I'm not expecting it to set new records in AS SSD either, it's not that kind of a drive.

I expect this could be a typical all-round/gamers kind of SSD, great on throughput and more than adequate on iops.

BAM!

Forgive the small font... trying to fit that all on the screen to get a screenshot of the entire group had to have some small compromises :lol:

It was slightly concerning that there is pretty much no ramp in 4K write speed. It hits 11-12k right out of the gate and stays there.

Knowing Intel I wouldn't be all that surprised if it's an artificially imposed limit.

Kind of disappointing for me here. I don't really do enough sequential transfers to notice a whole lot faster system with these new drives over my current G2 Intels that I already have. Like you said the pricing is where the difference might be felt. Curious to see where all the latest drives land.

Here are some quick and dirty CDM shots of the 510 on Intel ICH10R vs LSI 9260. One interesting thing is we don't really see much performance jump in random 4K write under higher queue depths.

It is odd that the sequential write is 326MB/s, but the 512KB random write is 411MB/s.

Did you run AS-SSD? Can you post an AS-SSD screenshot?

I expect this could be a typical all-round/gamers kind of SSD, great on throughput and more than adequate on iops.

Well, I guess many people look for an 'all-round , real life decent SSD performer' for their notebooks to increase productivity and maybe a bit battery life... well at least I do. I struggle because reading synthetic tests or even nice productivity testsuite results from a high end computer do not exactly translate to what I can ever get on my Dell m4500 notebook. These toys are not cheap to get them just to discover I ain't going to see half of the spec and could have bought cheaper unit with same results. Even just looking at Vertex 3 results vary from SATA 6 to 3 make me wonder what kind of results can one expect on an average notebook?. I would greatly appreciate if someone could share his experience in this subject or point to the source. Thanks!

It is odd that the sequential write is 326MB/s, but the 512KB random write is 411MB/s.

Did you run AS-SSD? Can you post an AS-SSD screenshot?

We have IOMeter results for the full review which show much more consistent R/W for sequential and random transfers.

Well, I guess many people look for an 'all-round , real life decent SSD performer' for their notebooks to increase productivity and maybe a bit battery life... well at least I do. I struggle because reading synthetic tests or even nice productivity testsuite results from a high end computer do not exactly translate to what I can ever get on my Dell m4500 notebook. These toys are not cheap to get them just to discover I ain't going to see half of the spec and could have bought cheaper unit with same results. Even just looking at Vertex 3 results vary from SATA 6 to 3 make me wonder what kind of results can one expect on an average notebook?. I would greatly appreciate if someone could share his experience in this subject or point to the source. Thanks!

You bring up a great point, that's why we use a common desktop, nothing with overclocked whatever or super charged RAM...and so on. The relative performance though shown in our tests will translate to the notebook world too. There's nothing special there that would cause a dramatic shift in results.

And to everyone else that has been posting today, we appreciate the support while we toy with this review concept ;)

I'm interested to know what sort of real world difference there will be between SATA 3.0 and 6.0 performance. Is it actually noticeable? Or is it like 38 seconds versus 42 seconds for a long benchmark? Basically I'm trying to see if it's actually worth spending $500+ on a decent SATA RAID controller for my new X58 system.

However I'm not actually sure that right now is a good time to buy a SATA controller - I get the feeling that these super-high-performance drives are going to push the development of entirelly new controllers. Might pay to stick it out with what I have for now, and see how things are in a year. I mean I'm coming from a RAID 10 of 4.5 year old Seagate 7200RPM drives, I'm sure something like the 510 on SATA 3.0 will still blow my socks off.

Edited by Sunfox

I'm interested to know what sort of real world difference there will be between SATA 3.0 and 6.0 performance. Is it actually noticeable? Or is it like 38 seconds versus 42 seconds for a long benchmark? Basically I'm trying to see if it's actually worth spending $500+ on a decent SATA RAID controller for my new X58 system.

However I'm not actually sure that right now is a good time to buy a SATA controller - I get the feeling that these super-high-performance drives are going to push the development of entirelly new controllers. Might pay to stick it out with what I have for now, and see how things are in a year. I mean I'm coming from a RAID 10 of 4.5 year old Seagate 7200RPM drives, I'm sure something like the 510 on SATA 3.0 will still blow my socks off.

Really though, if you're not going to get a SATA 6Gb/s HBA or RAID card for a year, I wouldn't buy one of the latest generation SSDs then. A SandForce SF-1200 drive will do what you want while the prices and early technology issues get sorted out for you.

BAM!

I agree. Intel's X25 SSDs were always strong in IOPS even when they weren't the fastest in terms of MB/s, so the reversal is somewhat disconcerting. I wonder if this is going to be another firmware issue like Intel has had with previous SSDs.

Yeah - to be honest, I feel a little sad that it wasn't faster, but...I tend to place a lot of value on not having to update firmware every 2 weeks to deal with issues and really fast is generally fast enough for me. Intel isn't going to sell into the enthusiast market with this, despite the PR, but it's still a cool drive. still dying to see pricing, still no Amazon or NE last I checked, though some international stores are showing prices.

+1

I would like to know this as well (registered just to say this). Those of us who got an early i7 system are still on SATA2. SSDs were too expensive when we build our systems so most of us op-ed out. Now their prices are becoming more reasonable. SATA and IDE versions used to be a non-consideration but it seems like SSDs have totally changed the game.

I'd echo that if you're on SATA II, there's no good reason to be considering a SATA III SSD. You're going to over pay for what you get. With the price of a 90GB SF-1200 SSD under $190 now, that's where the sweet spot for you resides.

Just read the review, thanks!

Tons of comparison between SATA 2 and 3. Personally, I would prefer if the bar graphs were labeled rather than colour-coded. 1 in 20 men are affected by colour blindness.

I'd echo that if you're on SATA II, there's no good reason to be considering a SATA III SSD. You're going to over pay for what you get. With the price of a 90GB SF-1200 SSD under $190 now, that's where the sweet spot for you resides.

I don't know about that. If you need a big SSD like I do, (I want 500gb but I can't get that just yet), I don't see any significant price differences in the 250gb size range.

Fortunately or unfortunately I've been briefed on the SSD roadmap for 2011. That said, I can't say anything until the dates tick off on our NDA.

Already Mar 1, in Europe, can do like dpreview and spill the beans via European time zone :D. T minus 20 min to East Coast Mar 1.

What I"m wondering is, should we expect the new SF 6Gbs controllers to show up on a OWC SDD this month too?

If Intel is using a Marvel Controller, which previous iterations have not been close to comparing to the SF controllers, I would say that would make for doubtful 'reliability', combined with 34nm NAND, isn't Intel just resting on it's previous 'laurels'??? These should cost less, than 25nm drives due to economy of scale in the short-term. Long term the 25nm SSD's should be lower priced and/or give 2x capacity for lower price, think people are looking for greater capacity at better price point for the most part. Kind of like Gucci handbags, just because of the name doesn't denote quality when any smaller brands might be made in the same factory Gucci are made :).

What about textured bars?

Yes, the color coding annoys me as well - I can see the red and blue ones, but the other 4 I have difficulty determining exactly which label they match up with.

Either add the model name to the actual bar, or place a number next to the bar that corresponds to the model names in the bottom index, or arrange the model name index in the order that they appear in the graph.

Technically I prefer that graphs always show models in the same order, rather than order of performance, since it makes it a lot easier to compare specific models on multiple graphs, versus just that one test.

Edited by Sunfox

I don't know about that. If you need a big SSD like I do, (I want 500gb but I can't get that just yet), I don't see any significant price differences in the 250gb size range.

Just so you know, there are existing 500GB SSDs that are currently available, so if your concern is not being able to find them, I or others on the forum could help you with that. If, on the other hand, your concern is affordability, you'll have to wait a while longer.

Just so you know, there are existing 500GB SSDs that are currently available, so if your concern is not being able to find them, I or others on the forum could help you with that. If, on the other hand, your concern is affordability, you'll have to wait a while longer.

I know there are 512gb SSDs, but the ones I've looked at are all rather expansive... and seem rather slow for the price (excepting the PCIe models). Technically I'd love to get a Crucial M4 512gb, but I doubt I'm going to be able to wait that long. I hate being on the cusp of a new technology - but when I started gathering the parts for this system, there were no super fast SATA3 SSDs to even worry about.

Edited by Sunfox