Patrick Roberts

SCALE 9X

Nice - I know you're a big Webos guy...as much as I've covered Palm and HP over the years, and wanted Palm to succeed, they could just never get out of their own way in terms of innovation. HP hasn't exactly been known for much innovation either in the handheld space. Makes me miss the Handspring days ;)

I think another mobile OS would be great, but man, with Android and iOS cruising, seems unlikely that webos can gather enough steam to make in impact.

As of this second palm is... stalled in regards to growth. Everyone knows that, and palm admits it. But we do know that thats going to change. Soon. The Veer is going to be out soon which will be the first device with the full backing of HP's marketing division, and after that the pre3 and the touchpad are due for release. But all of that is piddles compared to another market HP has said they are moving webos to. Which is their computers. Sometime this year HP is going to ship webos on every computer they ship. Hows that for scale.

I'll believe it when I see it...webos on printers, meh...computers, I don't think anyone will use it. I'm not negative on webos, I want another option out there, I just don't really believe that HP will be able to deliver. I hope I'm wrong.

and after that the pre3 and the touchpad are due for release. But all of that is piddles compared to another market HP has said they are moving webos to. Which is their computers. Sometime this year HP is going to ship webos on every computer they ship. Hows that for scale.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/03/02/jobs.touts.ipad.outselling.tablet.pc.but.misquotes/

How is this for scale :P (wonder how long b4 jobs dies, he's a skeleton now!)

Apple co-founder Steve Jobs used his iPad 2 event as a platform to criticize not just other mobile tablet makers but Microsoft as well. The original iPad's 15 million sales in 2010 not only gave it 90 percent of the market but saw it outsell every tablet to date, including Tablet PCs using Windows. Nine months was all it took to deliver "more than every tablet PC ever sold," he boasted.

The remarks are a symbolic embarrassment to Microsoft. It formally launched the Tablet PC platform with Windows XP Tablet Edition in November 2002 but has never accounted for more than a very small fraction of the larger tablet market. Adding multi-touch and a friendlier interface with Windows 7 has had little effect. Estimates for the platform have been low enough that shipments may have shrunk from about 1.5 million in 2009 to 1.25 million in 2010.

Tablet PC has been widely considered a personal obsession of original Microsoft CEO Bill Gates, who even as recently as 2010 has insisted that every tablet must have a pen and behave as much like a traditional PC as possible.

Jobs during the event on Wednesday specifically rejected this argument, not just for Microsoft but also for companies like HP, Motorola, RIM, and Samsung. The tablet was a "post-PC" device that had to be easier than a computer and have its hardware and software more directly integrated, he said. With the exceptions of HP and RIM, none of the other companies were making their own software and were instead approaching it from a PC-like perspective.

The link isn't loading for me, but whatever. Heh, I don't really doubt the iPad has sold that much, I have one somewhere myself. I pretty much use it purely for a web/irc device, and it works good for that.