TSullivan

What new notebook is at the top of your list?

Title pretty much says it all. With SandyBridge notebooks announced from most of the notebook manufacturers ... which do you want and why?

1920x1200 OLED true high-gamut 15+inch MacBookPro >someday :( Been promised for years now, only a few smaller OLED's out there now.

I'm so lame...my MacBook Air does all I need it to, so Sandy Bridge isn't that important to me. Maybe I need to get back into gaming...Would Age of Empires benefit from SB? ;)

Is the question what currently available notebook would I buy, what soon-to-be available one I would wait for, or how I would design my ideal notebook if I had the option to myself?

If current, probably the Acer 5745DG. Reasonable all round performance, gaming capable, and great battery life. Horrible screen though.

If future, probably the Dell Studio 16 once the OLED screen option is available, apparently prototypes have already been seen and are due for release this year, Samsung OLED laptops too. I've had too many laptops that I've loathed to use due to rubbish screens and for my next one the display has become the most important aspect. I wouldn't even mind paying an extra 2K for it.

Sandy bridge is alright as it extends battery life mainly, for my notebook CPU performance isn't a major factor, any dual-core >2Ghz will do. But getting 10+ hours out of a gaming capable laptop (more with Optimus, etc) without an extended battery is superb. I get about 10h now, with non-switch-able dedicated graphics and two batteries, but that requires the weight of two batteries and shutting down to change them.

Patrick, just sent mine off to the depot today, had all sorts of problems waking from sleep. Funny thing, it at least did it when I went to the Genius Bar today...I was so thankful. Looking online, there are dozens of reports of this problem. I'm not sure a visit to the shop is going to help, but it was happening every single day.

Ouch. I will say this, the two times I had to use applecare they were fantastic. Way back when I had an iBook G3 that had a faulty logic board setup and the first time it died was a week before a vacation to hawaii. Two days before I left it was back in my hands, which was pretty amazing considering average turnaround was 2 weeks.

They quoted 5 days, but the bar guy said it's usually faster, they apparently overnight product out at 5PM each day, then get a likewise shipment back...I'm hoping for Monday since I'm using a borrowed notebook right now that has a nice keyboard but tiny touchpad by comparison and a crap screen ;)

I will say, I like being able to make an appointment for the bar, even though I was 10 minutes late and had to wait for a new slot...

I would have to say the Thinkpad T420. Been loving my T61 since it came out(got it practically the day it came out..lol) but it is time to upgrade. I wouldn't mind a timewarp to the end of March so I don't have to wait to get it! Wouldn't mind more than 50min of battery life.(Yea..im still iffy on getting ebay batteries)

That's good - we're expecting to have a T420 in for review near the end of the month. We'll do our storage-centric breakdown on it, adding the new SATA 6Gb/s drives to the mix, like the Vertex 3 and SSD 510.

Got a Thinkpad T61 now and the T420 would currently be on the top of my list, if my T61 wasn't good enough any more.

Must have features are: Sandy Bridge 2 Core (or better), matte display, not larger than 14"

Nice to have: IPS, SSD storage + some platters for bulk storage + optical drive (sometime I actually use it), switchable graphics

*going to dig for X220*

MrS

Edited by [ETA]MrSpadge

Coming from a 15" T60 I am almost more interested in the T520 at this point regardless of its larger size. Being a rather hefty fellow who can stand up to a strong breeze on a windy day, the difference between 3lbs and 6lbs in my backpack is miniscule.

I really hope seeing an IPS panel offered on the X220 means better screens are coming across the board. Too long have the ThinkPads rated at the bottom for screen quality.

I'm so lame...my MacBook Air does all I need it to, so Sandy Bridge isn't that important to me. Maybe I need to get back into gaming...Would Age of Empires benefit from SB? ;)

I'm like you in this regard Brian :)

Just bought the MacBook Air Ultimate 13" and only miss one thing - backlit keyboard.

Otherwise it's PERFECTION !

Also got to order the new iPad 2 :)

Will retire my iPad 1 and use it exclusively as Sonos remote control.

I would LOVE a backlit keyboard on the MBA - I often use it in low light. Thinking real hard about the iPad Dos. I might wait for Amazon to get it to avoid tax. The government doesn't know how to spend it anyway ;)

Damn they chopped that out? Wasn't that on the first MBA?

Yes it was :(

Everything else is almost perfect on this laptop ( ok, Core 2 Duo is a so so CPU only twice as fast as the Atom CPU but still)

Only 3 reasons for not having backlit keyboard in the new MBA:

1. The keyboard is slightly flatter than the old, so having backlit keys might have been a more complicated task to install

2. Battery is longer lasting but then why not give us the adult option of just being able to turn it off/on

3. Apple will sell the next MBA with Sandy Bridge AND backlit keyboard so the MBA fans just HAVE to get the new one ;)

----

Vh/Regards

Claus - TapaTalk on my Ip4

3. Apple will sell the next MBA with Sandy Bridge AND backlit keyboard so the MBA fans just HAVE to get the new one ;)

----

Vh/Regards

The pessimistic part of me believes this to be true. And sadly, I'll probably jump on the upgrade this summer. I hope I'm not turning fanboi.

The pessimistic part of me believes this to be true. And sadly, I'll probably jump on the upgrade this summer. I hope I'm not turning fanboi.

I just turned into a fanboy of the worst caliber :(

Ordered an iMac 27" instead of the original Apple Cinema Display 27" - returned my new MacBook Air 13 ultimate and sold my selfbuild home PC - my needs are more in the direction of what an iMac at home and a new summer released MacBook Air 13" with backlit keys can offer than constantly adding and selling stuff from my home brewed monster PC. I guess I'm growing up - will miss building my PC, but will not miss the constant doubt of when I should upgrade CPU, mobo, ram, SSD and gpu. Now I just have to follow the apple fanboys and upgrade once a year ;)

I know we will see an iMac with thunderbolt and sandy bridge this summer but I will do just fine the next couple if years with this iMac :

27" ips led 2560x1440

2,93 i7 Quad CPU

8 gb 1333 MHz DDR3 ram

Radeon 5750 gpu 1 gb

256 SSD DRIVE internal - OSx + iWork

2 TB HDD internal - music, pics, movies & docs

2 TB TimeCapsule

2 x 2 TB WD Studio Design external

Magic mouse + magic trackpad

Full sized Apple Alu USB keyboard

I play my games on the playstation 3 and don't do a lot of photoshop nor webdesign anymore - and I got tired of constantly waiting for modified Sandy Bridge chipsets for motherboards, new generation SSD's, new ivy bridge in the fall - and felt disappointed over the new marvel based Intel 510, so bought the best (arguably) looking computer ever designed and will buy the best ever designed laptop come summer - the MacBook Air :)

And I'm not I will notice a decrease in speed to be honest......

So I'm officially a fanboy now, but I still have the guts to admit that I hate Apple but also love them enough to not hate them so much like I used to do ;)

----

Vh/Regards

Edited by dr.ralph

You mean like JRs 11" MacBook Air? HAHA

For everyone else, "a guy we know" from another forum managed to bend his 11" MBA like a boomerang. Sad sad sad...