brjoon1021

HD failed. Need advice on new laptop drive. SATA I

Hi,

I need recommendations for a new hard disk. I am open to either SSD or traditional platter drive.

I have a Dell Latitude D630c laptop. The 7200 RPM Seagate it came with just failed. I need to run to Fry's today and get another drive or order something online today.

This is business laptop. I reboot it several times a day. It is primarily used to store and upload digital pictures and medical images (xrays and ultrasounds). I have had Vista Business 32 bit on it. I will likely reinstall that but I am tempted to jump to Win 7 64.

I don't need much capacity, probably 32 GB would be enough, 64 would be better. So I am considering an SSD drive due to the speed increase and toughness - I am a little rough on the laptop. That is why the seagate failed. I have a SATA I (not SATA II) connector so I think that it won't let a modern SSD run as quickly as it can, correct ?

Is there a good bang-for-the-buck SSd in the 64 GB or larger capacity that would beat out the traditional hard drives or would you recommend a particular regular Hard disk ?

specific models would be great help as well as general pontificating. Thanks!

Thanks,

B

Speed-wise, most current SSDs would be overkill for you, since your computer doesn't have the bandwidth for them. Buying a high capacity 7200RPM hard drive would be the most economical choice for speed, since denser hard drives can access data faster. However, an SSD would definitely resist shocks a lot better. If you don't need too much space, the 80GB Intel X25-M would work just fine for you.

edit: and definitely install Windows 7. It's worth the upgrade.

Edited by Djembe

Even with the SATA I interface you could still benefit in terms of reliability of the drive - like you say, if you rattle it around a lot an SSD would help.

The good news, is that there are some good value options, I'm thinking of the Kingston V+ 100 or 425 line. I'd definitely go to Win 7 too, it plays more nicely with SSDs.

http://www.storagereview.com/kingston_ssdnow_v_review_snvp325s2

We have a review of the V+100 coming soon.

Brian is right, an SSD makes sense given your rough treatment of the notebook. No moving parts.

The Corsair Force series are my current favorite drives though they are a tad expensive. Although your notebook only has a SATA I connection, it's not going to be a limiting factor in daily use (nor will you likely care, given how much faster it will be regardless than your HDD).

Brian is right, an SSD makes sense given your rough treatment of the notebook. No moving parts.

The Corsair Force series are my current favorite drives though they are a tad expensive. Although your notebook only has a SATA I connection, it's not going to be a limiting factor in daily use (nor will you likely care, given how much faster it will be regardless than your HDD).

Thanks.

I am at Fry's and they have older SSD drives but a cool drive that had a good review here called the Momentus XT by Seagate. 500 GB for like $114

with a SATA I bus would a SSD be any faster in real life ?

The XT is an interesting beast, we really like what the 4GB of SLC NAND does for its performance. But given your reported physical drive abuse, I'd stay away from platters all together and go with a cheaper SSD. I mean, if the $100 price point is key, then grab the OWC 40GB SandForce drive, it's $99. New Egg has some of the other 40's on sale for less from time to time.

the comments about windows 7 and its working better or playing nicer with ssd drives has stopped me in my tracks because I changed my mind about 7, I really don't like it. Will XP give me trouble on an ssd or the Seagate momentus xt hybrid ?

Edited by brjoon1021

The drives will work wtih XP, but you're putting some drive endurance at risk. There are some things you can do manually to better care for an SSD on Win XP. That dsicusion probably deserves its own thread though if that's the direction you go.

The drives will work wtih XP, but you're putting some drive endurance at risk. There are some things you can do manually to better care for an SSD on Win XP. That dsicusion probably deserves its own thread though if that's the direction you go.

My drive abuse aside.....

Considering that I have a SATA I connection which would put a limit on fast SSD drives, do you think that an SSD drive would feel barely, a little, really noticeable or a LOT snappier than the Seagte momentus hybrid drive on my system ?

It is cheaper (and local) to get a momentus xt to install the win xp I already have when compared to buying win 7 and a more expensive SSD drive . That price is not worth it if an ssd drive would only seem slightly snappier than the seagate hybrid

Edited by brjoon1021

You probably won't feel a big difference, but remember, you strted this by saying you're abusinve to HDDs. I'm not sure I'd pay extra for the Momentus if you're going with a platter drive. I'd just get a Caviar Black and call it a day.