Brian

OCZ Vertex 2 25nm Review

Received my new OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G from Amazon.

CrystalDiskInfo shows firmware 1.27

Capacity/Unallocated space shows 57,241 MB.

Trying not to get too excited, but is it safe to say I scored a 3Xnm drive!?!?

Thanks!

(For those curious - I ordered the drive 02/18/10 from Amazon.)

Unfortunately I also recently ordered from amazon, go a drive with the same firmware version, and after some research now I have come to think that there are actually *3* generations of this same drive.

The first was 32nm and "fast" the second was 25nm and "like half the speed, and also missing some IDEMA capacity" (55 instead of 60GB) and the third is 25nm "slower than the 32nm original, but shows all the IDEMA capacity" (basically the third generation uses as many chips as the first [the second didn't], but the chips are also slower].

So chances are that you actually got a third generation drive, which has benchmarks that aren't up to specs. Maybe storagereview should update their post to reflect this news? The good news is the performance isn't terrible. The bad news is that ocz seems to have done a bait and switch with their specs.

The deal with the RMA ones was that you would send in your 2nd gen (lacking capacity) drive and they would send you a 3rd gen., too.

Cheers!

-roger

http://betterlogic.com/roger/2011/04/ocz-vertex-2-toolbox-25nm-versus-32nm/

The firmware version is the other clue, 1.27 or before and you're pretty much guaranteed a 32/34nm drive.

Actually 1.27 is an "ambiguous" firmware version.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?86056-Info-regarding-32-and-25nm-64Gbit-drives-that-did-not-meet-IDEMA-specifications.

Also see my comment on how there are 3 generations of this thing.

Why this review states that Vertex 2 25nm drives have only "66% of the rated write-cycles"?

Its compared to 3xnm flash. 2xnm flash that all the drives are moving to is rated for 3,000 vs 5,000 before. Note that this isn't a problem with the Vertex 3, since it applies to pretty much all of the new drives.

Two questions:

1. OCZ in it's official statement explained thet the move towards 25 nm process is aimed to lower the prices. Exactly how muct the 25 nm Vertex 2 is cheaper than the 3X one (at equal capacities)?

2. Now I have the chance to buy "High Performance Solid State Drive OCZ Vertex2 with 16 Chip Solution 60GB part number OCZSSD2-2VTX60G" . Is this the better (3Xnm) one?

Edited by fashion_m

Its compared to 3xnm flash. 2xnm flash that all the drives are moving to is rated for 3,000 vs 5,000 before. Note that this isn't a problem with the Vertex 3, since it applies to pretty much all of the new drives.

Well, that's a step back. I thought that the main goal in the SSD business is to extend the lifespan of the drives...