Jsu

Which 1TB Storage Drive SpinPoint F3, Caviar Green, or Caviar Black?

Hi guys, I first read storagereview.com back in 2006 but first time post today.

I'm looking to buy a new 1TB HDD as secondary (not for OS) storage device. My priority is reliability only, performance is not a big issue. I have an old system and therefore cannot even use all of these new high tech features lol

Computer Spec:

Windows XP Pro SP3

ASUS P4P800 MoBo (Socket 478, Intel Springdale i865PE)

Intel P4 HT 3.2 GHz

1GB Corsair PC3200 DDR2 RAM

ATi Radeon 9800 PRO

So I'm choosing between:

1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3 SATA-II 32MB Cache 7200RPM ( HD103SJ ) (price including delivery £43.99)

1TB Western Digital Caviar Green SATA-II 64MB Cache 5400 RPM ( WD10EARS ) (prince including delivery £51.73)

or the more expensive

1TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM ( WD1002FAEX ) - (price £71.54) I think this would probably be overkill for me?

I will not be doing any RAID, just simply using as a straight SATA-II drive for storing documents, mp3s, and rar files. I would just like a drive which does not give any hassle, very reliable - low chance of failing. I've heard the SpinPoint F3 can be quite noisy for some, but my PC is very noisy so that's only an issue if it affects reliability. Also I am a fan of WD, and if I bought the SpinPoint that would be my first Samsung HDD which is why I am a bit hesitant.

Please let me know your thoughts, I would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

While I have no problem with you buying the Samsung, the F3 is a fine drive, I'd go with the Caviar Green. It's a very well known entity and is very reliable. That said, every batch has it's duds, so there are no guarantees, but I think you'll be very happy with it.

And - don't take 4 more years to post again! Welcome to the forums.

If only you were in the US I would just ship you one of those listed :lol:

I have used all three of those in RAID setups with 24/7 usage and all of them worked without issue. For that alone I would be going on price, since all-out performance doesn't appear to be a main selling feature for you. I might even give an edge to the Samsung F3 so you don't have any concerns about advanced format messing with your older Windows XP rig.

Guys, thanks for the quick replies and the welcome. I'll try and post before the next 4 years lol, no guarantees though, who knows I might die before my hard drives do. Also TSullivan thanks for that kind offer haha!

I think I'm going to go for the Caviar Green. As know with HDDs there are no guarantees and everyone has their own experiences, but I'll stick with WD this time and will report back after some usage. Maybe I'll try the Samsung F4s next time.

TSullivan, just regarding what you were saying about advanced formatting, do you think I might have any problems with the Caviar Green on XP? What would be the best procedure after getting the new disk? I was reading the burn-in routine thread but that seems pretty hardcore for a mid-user like me. I've usually never done anything more than a Quick NTFS format when I get a new drive before using it, what would you recommend I do?

Edit: I was reading something about 4k alignment issues? http://www.anandtech.com/show/2888 and http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/4k-sectors-how-to-fix-XP/m-p/10628 that's not a problem for me, as I am planning to keep it as only 1 partition and as a secondary drive so I could just set the jumpers across pins 7 and 8 right?

Edited by Jsu

Well if you don't need to worry about it, there are just less concerns overall. The green isn't any faster than the F3 and in your situation there is no dire need to go for one over the other. If you were using Windows 7 I wouldnt even bring it up, but with XP you just don't know what might happen.

Recently I got a Seagate 7200.12 1TB drive, ST31000528AS. I assumed that Seagate was still good because I had good experiences with them in the past and this wasn't a 7200.11. After the drive started failing in less than a month, did some more research and found that Seagate seems to have inferior reliability. You can see that in the review breakdowns on Newegg (lots of 1 egg reviews) and Amazon, and in the database here.

Based on data here and at Newegg, it seems like the old Caviar Black drive with SATA 2.0 and 32 MB of cache (WD1001FALS) has the best reliability. The only disadvantage is that uses more power and heats up more. WD Caviar Blue and Green drives and the Spinpoint F3 seem to have worse reliability, but they're not as bad as Seagate.

Yes, I have also had around 3 Seagate drives fail, although I do credit them for their Customer Support and RMAs, but as a result I only purchase WD.

I can't buy that WD1001FALS new here in the UK, it seems discontinued. I have ordered the Caviar Green WD10EARS at this time as it seems to be cooler and quieter (speed is not an issue for me), and will report back (although I can't really judge reliability until after months and years).

I don't think Seagate is less reliable compared with other manufactures. Take a look on newegg at WD 2TB EARS feedback and read users feedback. If you take the numbers in % it is worse than that seagate 7200.12 you are mentioning. I don't think there is any good or bad hdd manufacturer, every user have its own preferences. It is obvious to get frustrated when a hdd dies because of the data loss, thats why all users should backup their data.

Recently I got a Seagate 7200.12 1TB drive, ST31000528AS. I assumed that Seagate was still good because I had good experiences with them in the past and this wasn't a 7200.11. After the drive started failing in less than a month, did some more research and found that Seagate seems to have inferior reliability. You can see that in the review breakdowns on Newegg (lots of 1 egg reviews) and Amazon, and in the database here.

Based on data here and at Newegg, it seems like the old Caviar Black drive with SATA 2.0 and 32 MB of cache (WD1001FALS) has the best reliability. The only disadvantage is that uses more power and heats up more. WD Caviar Blue and Green drives and the Spinpoint F3 seem to have worse reliability, but they're not as bad as Seagate.

Every one has different experiences. The only drive that has ever had to be returned by me was the Dec 2010 return of CB 1 TB. That has not stopped me however from gradually filling up the drive bay with WDs. I find the CB 2 TB to be extremely good, and Green to be good enough as long as it is not the primary disk. Have 2 of Seagate 7200.12 (528AS) 1TB and they have been wonderful. For that matter, also have a 7200.11 540AS 1TB which suffers in speed but not in longevity.