Sign in to follow this  
marktronic

Laptop: SSD + secondary HDD

Hello all,

I have a Macbook Pro with a 160 GB OCZ Vertex-2 SSD. I am going to use an OptiBay to replace the SuperDrive with another HDD for documents, and media storage (photos, iTunes library). I am looking at some Western Digital drives. Currently, my options are:

1. Western Digital Scorpio Black WD5000BEKT 500GB 7200 RPM

2. Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD6400BEVT 640GB 5400 RPM 8MB

Size isn't really the main question here. My main question is if the 5400 RPM drive is preferable over the 7200 RPM drive. I will be using the secondary drive to store photos, listen to music, watch movies off of iTunes, and back up my main SSD to via Time Machine (will partition secondary drive). Would there be any performance benefits in using a 7200 RPM drive in this case or should I go with the 5400 RPM drive?

Thoughts?

Many thanks!

I would go for the 5400 rpm drive, is more quiet and consumes less. Will do just fine for watching movies and listening to music. If the backup involves large amounts of data, it will take a little bit more time to complete a job. If it's only regular OS and user data, you won't feel any difference.

I agree, the Blue drive will suit you just fine. Let us know how it goes!

I'm just a little worried about some reviews I read on NewEgg where people say using Blues as secondaries. See link...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136459&cm_re=western_digital_scorpio_blue-_-22-136-459-_-Product

Do you know of anyone who has used a Blue and not had issues? My MacbookPro is mid-2010.

Edited by marktronic

In my quick scan I see several Mac users with success...I don't know why exactly you would have a problem. The ones that are, sounds like it's some sort of compatibility maybe, hard to tell though. I was thinking you might consider a Hitachi 5K drive, but I don't see much stock of those anywhere.