Sign in to follow this  
acadaca

Secondary HDD options

Hello,

I have a thinkpad T500 and want to replace my optical bay with a seconday hard drive.

My main drive is a 120 SSD (512B). I will be running my OS off of my SSD and want to use my

secondary drive to store files and maybe to run a couple of programs like itunes.

Storage is a huge factor to me, but I also want to get something that can perform

and has a relatively low power consumption.

I don't want to spend too much money and I am currently looking at the Western Digital

Scorpio Blue WD6400BEVT/WD6400BPVT. Will there be any conflict if I use a drive that uses

the 4k sector in conjunction with my old drive? Can anyone offer me any other advice/

recommendations.

Thank you all for your time.

What's your budget?

And out of curiosity, which SSD are you using in the ThinkPad and did it come with the system or did you add it after the fact on your own?

What's your budget?

And out of curiosity, which SSD are you using in the ThinkPad and did it come with the system or did you add it after the fact on your own?

It is a SAMSUNG MMCQE28G8MUP-0VA and it did come with the system. I read afterwards that they

randomly assigned two different SSD drives to the notebooks and I believe I got shafted.

I would prefer to spend somewhere between 70-100$. I could go higher, but I would rather find

something suitable in that range.

If you're really just looking at iTunes, you don't need a high-performance drive for that. I'd save the cash and power consumption and stick with the Blues as you initially thought.

Brian is correct that iTunes doesn't care much about the performance of the drive. That won't even be a factor for playing back movies. Any modern hard drive is more than capable of keeping up with the seeking requirements for playing back music files.

The WD6400BEVT is especially quiet and has low power consumption so it is an excellent option. Also consider the WD5000BEVT (512b sector, I don't recall the model # of the 4k sector version; both should be the same otherwise); I have seen it priced proportionally less per GB than the WD6400BEVT. Sometimes the higher capacity 2.5" drives carry a small premium for being so large.

And no, there should not be any conflict running a 512b format drive alongside a 4k sector drive; I have done so in the past with my Windows 7 64-bit desktop.

---

As far as the Samsung drive goes, run a CrystalDiskMark benchmark and post a screenshot for us:

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

If it's the Samsung drive I am thinking of, then yes you got shafted. HP was sending a Samsung drive in their business notebooks a while back, didn't even have TRIM.

Brian is correct that iTunes doesn't care much about the performance of the drive. That won't even be a factor for playing back movies. Any modern hard drive is more than capable of keeping up with the seeking requirements for playing back music files.

The WD6400BEVT is especially quiet and has low power consumption so it is an excellent option. Also consider the WD5000BEVT (512b sector, I don't recall the model # of the 4k sector version; both should be the same otherwise); I have seen it priced proportionally less per GB than the WD6400BEVT. Sometimes the higher capacity 2.5" drives carry a small premium for being so large.

And no, there should not be any conflict running a 512b format drive alongside a 4k sector drive; I have done so in the past with my Windows 7 64-bit desktop.

---

As far as the Samsung drive goes, run a CrystalDiskMark benchmark and post a screenshot for us:

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

If it's the Samsung drive I am thinking of, then yes you got shafted. HP was sending a Samsung drive in their business notebooks a while back, didn't even have TRIM.

What difference would having the 4k over the 512b have?

Here is my screenshot:

post-72283-0-61031100-1297371733_thumb.j

Thank you

Yeah that's pretty slow, my mechanical Western Digital Scorpio hard drive is close to that in transfer speed. Unfortunately that drive was not worth the money. It's still faster than a hard drive for overall use but compared to just about every other modern SSD, it's dog slow.

Regarding the 4K vs 512b drive -- a lot of newer hard drives are coming with the new 4k advanced format, which for your uses, won't matter. It really only comes into play with very high capacity drives.

Yeah that's pretty slow, my mechanical Western Digital Scorpio hard drive is close to that in transfer speed. Unfortunately that drive was not worth the money. It's still faster than a hard drive for overall use but compared to just about every other modern SSD, it's dog slow.

Regarding the 4K vs 512b drive -- a lot of newer hard drives are coming with the new 4k advanced format, which for your uses, won't matter. It really only comes into play with very high capacity drives.

That's what I figured. Thanks so much for your help.