tonn

Active@ Kill Disk program question

Hy!

I have a Lenovo T400 with Hitachi HTS722016K9S hard drive. I want to do low level format do destroy my data, because I want to sell the computer. Unfortunately Hitachi Drive Fitness Test 4.16 do not support my system, and I have to choose something else. In Thinkpad forum I got a suggestion to try Active@ Kill Disk. I downloaded a free dos version, because writing a zeroes in once is enough, I think. But in the Active@ Kill Disk option there was a Retry Attempts, that was basically the only thing I can change. By default that were 5 times, is that enough or not? I have not got message in the Active@ Kill Disk support centre.

I don't know that product but it sounds like you're probably good. If you're still worried, I'd consider a secure erase with something like this.

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

And to be even more sure, you could just replace the drive and reinstall the OS. That's your safest play.

Writing zeros is good for the average person that does not have skills to recover your data. If you are more concerned, use "boot and Nuke" which allows many methods to securely write over your data. I believe it is free also.

For drives other than my personal computer (HTPC and such), I just write zeros to the drive since there is noting needing security. If it is my personal drive with my data on it, I use boot & nuke.

The full format that Windows performs is just enough to destroy all your data. Low level format is intended for bad sector remapping into drive's internal table. You don't need any tool for your problem, just make sure you format the drive with the full option, not the quick one. However, if you want to wipe data on your boot partition (the C: drive) then you need to reinstall your system and choose full format at setup time. To avoid OS reinstallation but still wipe your boot drive data, you need a specialized tool indeed. I would go for OS reinstall, I'm a little paranoid in these matters: you can wipe file data but you can still leave data in the Windows registry (like traces of software you used or even licenses).

HI,

Active@ KillDisk access hardware directly and erase data using several methods like US DoD 5220.22-M method etc.That is the best way to erase hard drive..!

The full format that Windows performs is just enough to destroy all your data. Low level format is intended for bad sector remapping into drive's internal table. You don't need any tool for your problem, just make sure you format the drive with the full option, not the quick one. However, if you want to wipe data on your boot partition (the C: drive) then you need to reinstall your system and choose full format at setup time. To avoid OS reinstallation but still wipe your boot drive data, you need a specialized tool indeed. I would go for OS reinstall, I'm a little paranoid in these matters: you can wipe file data but you can still leave data in the Windows registry (like traces of software you used or even licenses).

This depends what version of Windows you're running. XP and 2000 do a read verify only, and don't write to the drive, hence they do not destroy any data. Vista and 7 write during a format but considering the inconsistency between versions I wouldn't ever trust format as a method of erasing data.

Hi,

this sounds like something i need help with! I am trying to wipe my deleted files but am having trouble running killdisk on my C drive? Is there any suggestions - I dont want to completely delete my hard drive but i just want to wipe the deleted files?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!