Sign in to follow this  
Vilmalith

OCZ/Indilix problems?

I have quite a few SSDs (all 120gb), all various models from OCZ and all have an Indilix controller.

They have been used in various pcs and with various sata cables. And all have had to be rma'd at least twice (and I'm getting the feeling when I rma they just perform a destructive flash on the drives). It seems like once they hit the 6month old mark problems started to increase. Having to fresh install the OS once a month because of corruption issues. And now, after the last destructive flash (lasted 2 months without having to do a fresh install, YAY!!), its starting again on 3 of them.

Is this common to OCZ ssds or indilix controllers in general? Or am I just extremely unlucky or doing something oddly wrong? They were all PERFECT, it seems like a gremlin bumped a switch right around the 6month mark and now it just toys with me.

I'm open to fresh ideas, I'm even willing to drop the SSDs and go back to HDs. I can't really stomach the cost of replacing the SSDs with more SSDs, especially having such bad luck with them.

What OCZ has had me do, and what I've tried:

boost southbridge voltage - ocz suggestion

try different sata ports - ocz suggestion

try different pcs - ocz suggestion, not sure what this would accomplish but I did it anyways

try different sata cables - I did this, I think I have gone through every sata cable in my house along with buying many from many different locations. It didn't seem to make a difference

disable write cache - ocz suggestion

OS is Win 7 Pro 64bit. All SSDs are paired and running raid0. All pcs are intel based, oldest pc is a q6600 on an x38 mobo.

Whenever I do a fresh install. I put the drives in IDE mode, boot into a 32bit install (shift F10 to open cmd prompt from the install), run diskpart and secure erase. Reboot, re-create raid0 array, and install Win7 pro 64bit. And then everything is fine, until about a month later. First thing I notice is various programs don't work, then the chkdsk start happening on boot, then the pc stops successfully booting into windows.

So any suggestions, maybe I'm missing something......

Tough question and I'm a bit torn about what to recommend. There are Vertex 1's I'm guessing?

Anyway, I don't know of a specific problem with Indilinx controllers, but ask yourself why no one is using them any more. No one is of course an exaggeration, but they're not exactly popular. When the SSD gold rush started there were several players that have since fallen from grace.

I'd keep working with OCZ on the service process and possibly beg for an upgrade to Vertex 2 since these appear to be lemons. It's not time to swear off SSDs entirely, but this is part of the pain associated with early adopters.

Tough question and I'm a bit torn about what to recommend. There are Vertex 1's I'm guessing?

Anyway, I don't know of a specific problem with Indilinx controllers, but ask yourself why no one is using them any more. No one is of course an exaggeration, but they're not exactly popular. When the SSD gold rush started there were several players that have since fallen from grace.

I'd keep working with OCZ on the service process and possibly beg for an upgrade to Vertex 2 since these appear to be lemons. It's not time to swear off SSDs entirely, but this is part of the pain associated with early adopters.

I have a various range of the OCZ Indilix based drives, vertexs, agilitys and solid 2s.

So with that many different devices all having trouble, I don't know how you can do much other than point to the controller as the problem. Again, I'd fight hard for at least credit toward Vertex 2s or be prepared to bite the bullet and move to something more reliable.

Coming "late" into the SSD market we managed to skip over a lot of the first generation controllers, so its hard to say from experience what the problem is. Speaking with friends who have cheap Vertexs though (hey they were one of the first boot capacity models cheaply priced), most were either dead or dying and upgraded by now. I can't say for certain if that was a lack of TRIM problem combined with heavy writes, but it does pop out as a problem.

Is there any way to track writes on those older drives? To date we (StorageReview) have yet to outright kill any SSD we have tested. A few might bog down or crash from firmware issues, but they all still worked or got better after an initial bug (all except a really really slow 128GB SSD that won't be named). Most of our heavily-tested SSDs hover around the 1-2TB written mark, including the WD SiliconEdge Blue, one of the Intel 160GB's, and probably one or both of those early Kingstons. All are still happily chugging along and give CDM benchmarks of where they were right out of the box all these months later.

It might be time to bite the bullet and upgrade to something current-generation (Intel G2, SandForce, Marvell) or really force your position and get OCZ to replace your SSDs with something current generation that isn't prone to failure.

@Vilmalith : Sorry to hear that you're having such a crappy experience with OCZ's drives. I'm just a poweruser myself, but so far my three Vertex 2 drives have been OK.

Some thoughts:

Be sure to update the drives to the latest firmwares. Unfortunately this can be time consuming, because you can't jump directly from very old to brand new firmwares -- there is a specific version path you must follow. Read the updating guides in the OCZ forums for the specifics on how to do this.

Be sure to run the "Performance Tool" (aka little DOS program that executes a proprietary trim implementation) from time to time (say, monthly). This helps the drive controller a great deal. But I don't think you can run the TRIM/"Performance Tool" implementation on your RAID arrays? If that's so, then I would switch to other, never SSDs, and give the old Vertex's away to friends for use as boot drives in HTPCs, gaming PCs and the alike.

Edited by 270673