Sign in to follow this  
soulkeeper

Platters

I've been waiting for what seems like forever to see a single or dual platter 7200rpm drive using the latest platter density.

I'm disappointed at how slowly the industry is moving with regards to mechanical drives.

Yeah we've got massive green drives, but what about the low/mid range (size-wise) 7200rpm drives ? it seems like they've abandoned using the latest tech on anything under 2TB green drives.

Anybody else feel this way ?

Edited by soulkeeper

What is it exactly you're hoping for?

7200rpm ~640GB 1 platter drive, or ~1.3TB 2 platter drive

I'd like to upgrade my 2x 320GB wd blacks single platter (one mirrors the other) that have been full for a year. I've been waiting for a density doubling.

Maybe i'm asking too much, and should just pick up 2x single platter 500GB drives to tide me over

Well, at least you don't want a single platter 750GB or 1.5TB 2 platter ;)

The problem is probably in market size...I don't hear a whole lot of people demanding the low platter count. There was that 320GB Samsung F4, but I can't even really tell you why they released that. Point being though, I suppose someone could do it - if there were market forces asking for it.

As it is though, most just want bigger and faster.

Maybe you should just buy the 3TB Caviar Green, rip out a few platters....add in a Caviar Black motor and you're done. Sounds easy ;)

Another thing that somewhat bothers me is I was looking forward to toying with an AF drive in linux.

Seems the only way to do that is to get a big green drive. Not like I want to boot the drive, would just like to play with something interesting/new. A small AF drive doesn't seem like such a bad idea to me as long as they sold them with clear warning for "those" people.

There are a lot of AF drives now, especially in the 2.5" form factor. The struggle seems more about 2.2TB+ capacity drives, not AF in general though. I don't do much Linux worth however, so I'm not connected very well to the problems there.

There are a lot of AF drives now, especially in the 2.5" form factor. The struggle seems more about 2.2TB+ capacity drives, not AF in general though. I don't do much Linux worth however, so I'm not connected very well to the problems there.

No problems, just a matter of finding an AF drive :)

Are any of the WD black drives AF ? ie: 640GB

Not yet...I don't think - it's not always as obvious as we would like. On the 3.5" side, there's not as much of a push until you go over 2TB. It's really the 2.5" where they're more limited by platter count where we're seeing it become more common.

Ok, thanks for the conversation. I might just pickup two WD6402AAEX drives even tho they are 2 platter non-AF, that would be plenty of space for my needs atleast. Exactely the same platter density/technology as my 320GB drives that i've had since 2006 :(

Edited by soulkeeper

Exactely the same platter density/technology as my 320GB drives that i've had since 2006 :(

If you're not gaining much performance this way why not keep the 2 320's and add a single 2TB F4EG? Put unimportant data (=movies) and seldomly used programs there.

MrS

Aren't the Seagate 500GB drives a single platter now (7200.12 and XT)? There have been many reports of single platter WD black 500gb drives although I have never received one.

The WD 1TB FAEX is a two platter 1TB drive - pretty good data density. The same with the Seagate 7200.12 1Tb and XT 1TB.

What amazes me is the throughput Seagate gets out of the 5,900 RPM drives. I have a couple of them in service - 140MB/Sec at beginning of disk and 70 at the end, an average across the disk of 112MB/sec via HDTune 4.60. The drawback is the access time/latency.

These disks must have a very high areal density to achieve these numbers. In theory they should be capable of 170MB/sec max, 146 average if they were spinning at 7,200 rpm.

^^ apparently the EARS drives use 667 platters up to 2TB

Densities

I just pulled the trigger and purchased two 1TB FAEX drives

They were sold out of the EARS drives (only had 1 returned "open box" one left) which would have been $60 cheaper.

I was half thinking of getting an FAEX and an EARS and benchmarking/comparing them to each other ohh well.

I'll let you know how they work soon as I install and test them :)

Every since maxtor and quantum got gobbled up i've only purchased western digital drives, I guess i'm somewhat partial to them (havn't had one fail yet).

Edited by soulkeeper

I maxed out at about 130MB/s transfering between the two

about 70MB/s for a complete rsync of ~350GB

very nice considering my old drives would max out at around half that

No smartctl errors :)

Edited by soulkeeper